Jump to main content

Liza Burgess aiming for greater equality

Liza Burgess

WRU vice-chair Liza Burgess would like to see greater equality at all levels of the game

New WRU vice-chair Liza Burgess has spoken about her determination to improve the inclusivity, diversity and equality of all levels of Welsh rugby.

Share this page:

A pioneer of the Women’s game, celebrated former Wales captain and a coach of top flight women’s rugby, Burgess became the first female director to be elected to the Board through a member club vote, in November 2019.

She says she certainly does not want to be a token female and wants to inspire other women to put themselves forward for key roles.
“It’s obviously a huge honour representing Welsh rugby in this way.
“My election shows that Welsh rugby is firmly on board with changing perceptions and increasing diversity at Board level but I believe I’ve been elected for the right reasons and not just because I’m a woman. I will bring my expertise and experience as an international player, coach and teacher to our difficult remit of taking Welsh rugby forward.

“I never expected to be on the WRU Board or to become vice-chair but we should probably all start to think a bit differently in that regard.
“Why shouldn’t women, and not just women but people from all backgrounds and areas of expertise and experience put their hands up for this kind of role?
“We have to start somewhere. I may be the first elected woman on the Board but that just shows that there is a pathway for others now. I would encourage women at all levels of the game to put themselves forward for leadership roles. If my election sows the seed in other women to put themselves forward within their clubs and Districts, that’s exactly what we need to increase our gender diversity.

“It does require time and commitment but if you believe in something passionately, you can make a difference. Everyone has their own experience and competencies to bring to the table. I’d say don’t be afraid to back yourself.
We’re definitely going in the right direction and making significant progress as we continue on our inclusive journey.”
Burgess is also keen to support the development of international female players in Wales and the community game.
“We’ve been through a critical period already this year with the pandemic. There is a period of change within the WRU’s governance and I’ll be supporting new chairman Rob Butcher and the executive staff to help Welsh rugby to come out of the crisis on a sustainable footing.

“Based on my experience and interests, some of my key priorities will be to improve our diversity, equality and inclusivity at all levels in order that we represent all of the Welsh population.
“I’m clearly passionate about helping Wales’ women and girls to progress at the top level of the game, and I also want to support grassroots clubs, the heartbeat of our game in Wales.”

WRU chair Rob Butcher added, “It is an honour and a privilege to welcome Liza to the position of vice-chair of the WRU Board.
“Liza has been an integral member of our Board since her election in 2019 and though she is joined by other senior female figures in Amanda Blanc and Aileen Richards, as an elected representative she is a particularly powerful role model for the new breed of Board member we all hope our clubs will continue to help us produce.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness