Jump to main content

January: Matthew Jacobs

January: Matthew Jacobs

Llandovery threequarter Matthew Jacobs has won the Principality Premiership Player of the Month award for January, making it three out of five monthly awards for the Drovers this season.

Share this page:

Despite the weather causing havoc to the January fixture list, Jacobs’ performances caught the eye of coaches and rugby professionals to claim the first accolade of 2013.

After a period on the top of the Principality Premiership table, Llandovery are currently sitting in fourth place but Jacobs is confident they are still in a good position to push for silverware.

“We are fairly happy with where we are at the moment. We could be in a slightly better position but we are there or thereabouts. Our aim is to get into the Principality Premiership play-offs this season and from there anything can happen. We have our final British & Irish Cup Pool game next week, away to Nottingham and it would be great to get into the knock-out stages of that competition too, we just need to get some momentum again and kick on from here,” he said.

“On a personal level, things have been going very well this season. The coaching at Llandovery is of a very high standard and that’s bringing out the best in all the players, I feel like my skill levels have improved a lot.”

Jacobs began playing rugby at Llandeilo RFC and has enjoyed stints with Llangennech, Llanelli and the Scarlets before joining Llandovery five years ago.

“I had a taste of Regional rugby with the Scarlets about five years ago and I would dearly love to play at that level again.”

Matthew Jacobs Factfile
Born: 23.02.85 Oxford
Position: Centre/ Wing
Nickname: Jakey
Most admired player: Conrad Smith
Biggest influence on career: Support of family and coaches
Education: Ysgol Tregib, Llandeilo

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales