Jump to main content

Ravens look to build squad

Ravens look to build squad

Bridgend Ravens have announced the signings of three new players as they bolster their squad ahead of the 2013/14 campaign.

Share this page:

Scrum half Sion Hopkins, 21, arrives at the Riverside Hardware Brewery Field from Cardiff. With significant Premiership experience, he will add a physical and direct approach to the base of the scrum according to head coach Ben Rose. 

The Ravens boss said: “Sion looks a very good player from what we’ve seen in training.

“We are particularly looking forward to seeing the battle between Sion and our other scrum halves for this season’s number nine jersey.”

Hopkins, who was delighted to put pen to paper, added: “Every time I have played the Ravens, I have been impressed with the way they have thrown the ball around and the ambition they have shown.

“I am looking forward to much of the same next season, after a tough pre-season, which I’m enjoying thoroughly. Everyone at the Ravens is hoping to bring success next season in both the league and cup.”

Another who joins the Bridgend ranks is Owen Howe, a former Llandovery College centre. Rose has described Howe’s signing as “really exciting” and believes the youngster, who impressed in the WRU Colleges League last season, poses an attacking threat which can cause opposition defences problems.

Although Howe has just finished college studies, the youngster has an impressive physicality, which Rose believes will make him perfect for the challenge of Premiership rugby.

“Bridgend is a great club and I can’t wait to get started and be part of the team during the coming season,” said Howe.

“The recent success of players making the transition from Premiership level to regional standard made it quite an easy decision to join. I’m looking forward to playing with these players and am hoping their experience will rub off on both me and others within the squad.”??

Bridgend’s third signing is Adam Williams. An experienced centre, ex-Beddau man Williams brings physicality and presence to the number 12 shirt. So far, Rose has noted Williams’ excellent attitude in training – in particular his strong work ethic.

He said: “Adam’s attitude has been excellent and he has a particularly strong work ethic which is what we are all about at the Ravens.

“This is something the coaches would like to rub off on the rest of the squad, as we look ahead to the Principality Premiership campaign.”

Williams added: “I’m delighted to have signed for the Ravens.

“I’m looking forward to the step up in standard and competing with the rest of the squad for a regular place in the team for the forthcoming season.

“Pre-season training has been tough, but I’ve loved every minute of it and can’t wait for the season games to get started to be honest”.

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness