Jump to main content

Neath aim for the top

Neath aim for the top

Robin Sowden-Taylor, Neath’s new strength and conditioning coach, believes he can turn the Welsh All Blacks into the fittest side in the Welsh Premiership before the season kicks off next month.

Share this page:

The former Wales international has been hired by the Gnoll club to do just that and he believes the programmes he’s put the Neath players through in pre-season will turn them into a force to be reckoned with when they eventually take to the field.

“At the start we had a big squad – 40 odd players – and they varied in ability wise and certainly strength and conditioning, throughout the squad,” said Sowden-Taylor.

“We’ve narrowed the squad down a bit so the standard has risen and I’ve been impressed.

“It was great that the WRU put on a national testing day for the Premiership teams so I’m waiting back for the results from that to see how we fare against others in the league.

“We’re hoping we’ll be towards the top in fitness and I genuinely believe we can be number one in the Welsh Premiership in regards to conditioning. The extra sessions we’ve done away from the pitch means there’s no reason why we can’t be just that.

“It’s all about making sure the boys perform well on the pitch and what I do is specific to how they’ll play a game of rugby. That’s where the enjoyment comes into it, it’s different every session. They don’t know what to expect so they can push themselves. I’m looking forward to the results coming back from the WRU.”

The Neath players have started their on-field training ready for their first pre-season friendly at The Gnoll against English Division One side Rosslyn Park on Saturday 17th August (kick-off 7.45pm).

“With us being a new squad with a few new faces, it was important that we started earlier than in recent years,” said Sowden-Taylor.

“I’m looking to get more involved with the rugby side of things which I’m slowly doing. But obviously at this time of year there’s quite a heavy responsibility on strength and conditioning and getting the boys ready for the season so my time is very occupied by planning the fitness sessions.

“This time of year is tough but we know we have to make it stimulating and enjoyable for the boys as well. All of it has been established to make them the fittest players in the league so they can last 80 minutes of rugby and come away with win after win. We’re looking forward to seeing how it all comes together when we have our first match.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness