Jump to main content

Ponty relish being favourites

Ponty relish being favourites

Wales Sevens man Owen Jenkins says Pontypridd can cope with the tag of favourites at the Foster’s National Sevens.

Share this page:

Jenkins is just one of the Pontypridd squad with international sevens experience and after securing a league and cup double last year, the Sardis Road club should be full of confidence. 

Jenkins is joined by the likes of Wales Sevens skipper Adam Thomas and Rhys Shellard and with fellow international Alex Webber added from Ystrad Rhondda, there is plenty of talent available to Pontypridd head coach Dale McIntosh.

Having these players to call on brings its own pressure but it’s something Jenkins believes Pontypridd are capable of handling.

“We’ve got a few boys at Pontypridd who have international sevens experience,” said the young winger.

“With that and being Premiership champions, a lot of the teams will be looking at us to be the favourites – there’ll definitely be a lot of added pressure on us.

“But we know we have to go out there and perform to our best. You can’t switch off in sevens so we have to make sure we’re clinical.”

The Foster’s Sevens forms part of the build-up to another busy season for Jenkins and the Wales Sevens side.

Head coach Paul John is putting the squad through their paces in preparation with strength and conditioning coach Wayne Procter at the forefront of this week’s sessions.

“Training has been tough as usual but I’m enjoying being back with the boys,” added Jenkins, who played for Wales Sevens and Wales Under 20 last season.

“It’s now about working hard and getting ready for the upcoming campaign.

“I had a nice break after the World Cup and now I’m raring to go and get back into pre-season. I’m looking forward to some new challenges and what will be another successful year hopefully.”

Before the IRB Sevens circuit kicks off though, Jenkins’ first commitment is the inaugural national sevens tournament at Cardiff Arms Park.

“We just have to concentrate on ourselves, make sure we’re firing and not worry too much about the other team and what they’re doing,” he said, looking ahead to the tournament a week on Sunday.

“If we focus on what we do right then hopefully everything will click into place.”

Tickets for the Foster’s National Sevens are on sale now at just £10 for adults, £5 for Under 16s and £20 for a family ticket (2 adults, 2 children). Go to wru.co.uk/nationalsevens to purchase tickets or call 0844 8471881 (Ticketmaster) or 02920 230130 (Ticketline). Personal callers can also purchase tickets from the WRU shop, 8 Westgate Street or from Ticketline, 47 Westgate Street.

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness