Jump to main content

Premiership in focus: Bedwas & Cardiff

Premiership in focus: Bedwas & Cardiff

The game of rugby forges friendships at all levels but at the Bridge Field tomorrow, they will be put to one side.

Share this page:

Cardiff take on Bedwas and with the side’s respective head coaches knowing more than a fair bit about each other, it looks sure to be a tight encounter. 

Blue and Blacks chief Martyn Fowler previously worked under Bedwas head coach Steve Law at the Gwent club before taking charge at the Arms Park. The two also worked together at Cardiff University.

But on Saturday, the two head coaches will be going head-to-head as both sides look to get back to winning ways following opening day defeats.

“I’ve nothing but total respect for the man I affectionately refer to as Mr Gwent Rugby,” said Fowler of his opposite number on Saturday.

“Nobody I’ve met has the wealth and breadth of knowledge on all things Gwent rugby as Steve. Above all, he is a straight as a dye, honest man. Honesty is a rare commodity in the modern world, that’s why he has my respect and friendship.”

In his second season as Director of Rugby at the Arms Park, Fowler is settling into the role and has recruited well this summer. He looks back with fond memories though on his time with Bedwas.

He added: “Over the two and a half years I spent coaching at Bedwas, I was fortunate enough to meet some great people and witness first hand an incredible work ethic and commitment from Mark Lewis and his committee.

“They worked with a common goal of establishing Bedwas as a force in the Welsh Premiership.”

There will be close relationships on the field as well as off it tomorrow. Cardiff forwards Sam Feehan and James Murphy will come up against former team mates while Simon Grainger and Dan Crimmins will both feature for Bedwas against their old club.

“It’s always good to play against your old team,” said Grainger.

“I’m looking forward to the game and the season as a whole as we strive to improve on last season’s fourth place.”

For the clash with Cardiff, Bedwas make a few changes from the side that faced Pontypridd. Andy Humberstone makes his first start at outside half with Elliot Jones replacing Steve Cullen on the left wing. Grainger starts at open side flanker and leads the side. Crimmins makes his Bedwas debut after returning from playing in Australia with Joe Mills in at tight head prop in place of Matt Pettit.

Cardiff are able to call on Cardiff Blue Dan Fish to compensate for the loss of Cory Allen who features for the region against Zebre this evening. Luke Hamilton also starts at No. 8 with the boot of Ceiron Thomas at fly half again a key factor.

Bedwas: 15 Stuart Thomas 14 Will Harries 13 Liam Gadd 12 Scott Williams 11 Elliot Jones 10 Andy Humberstone 9 Rhys Downes, 1 Aaron Coundley 2 Elliot Dee 3 Joe Mills 4 Phil Rees 5 Craig Lodge 6 James Thomas 7 Simon Grainger (c) Dan Crimmins.
Replacements: Matt Pettit, Ian George, Richard Wilkes, Luke Connolly, James Sawyer, Luc Jones, Dan Dearden, Steve Cullen.

Cardiff: 15 Daniel Fish 14 James Loxton 13 Richard Smith 12 Luke Ford 11 Shaun Powell 10 Ceiron Thomas 9 Thomas Slater (c), 1 Lewis Smout 2 Ethan Lewis 3 Ryan Harford 4 Miles Normandale 5 James Murphy 6 Samuel Feehan 7 Benjamin Roach 8 Luke Hamilton.
Replacements: Thomas Davies, Aaron Fowler, Rhys James, Nicholas White, Johnathan Edwards, Garyn Lucas, Jack Maynard, Michael Stephens. 

LISTEN TO THE PREMIERSHIP PODCAST HERE

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness