Jump to main content

McIntosh joins Blues

McIntosh joins Blues

New Cardiff Blues defence coach Dale McIntosh has revealed his difficulty in deciding to take up the role at Cardiff Arms Park.

Share this page:

Current Pontypridd head coach McIntosh has spent more than a quarter of a century at Sardis Road as a player and coach, and has become a household name at the home of the current Principality Premiership and SWALEC Cup holders.

McIntosh, known throughout the game in Wales as ‘Chief’, has taken up a new role at the capital city region under Director of Rugby Phil Davies. He will leave his position as WRU Performance Skills Coach and head coach at Pontypridd to take up the full-time role at the Blues.

With previous experience as forwards coach to the Wales Under 18 squad, McIntosh looks set to have a big impact at the Blues after developing through the coaching pathway in Wales. But after playing more than 400 times for Pontypridd, he admitted it was difficult to leave behind the club that has been a part of him for most of his time in Wales.

“There was a lot of thought. When you’re comfortable with something and you’ve been there such a long time, it’s hard to get out,” said McIntosh.

“But the excitement of this job and the magnitude of the club is phenomenal and it’s exactly want I want in life. It’s been hard because Pontypridd has been part of my life. I’ll be at Pontypridd on Saturday as I think it’s the right thing to do.

“I just get too emotional when I think about it. I’ve got no regrets and what I’ve lost in leaving New Zealand, I gained in abundance by becoming an adopted Welshman. I feel my heart has been ripped out by leaving Pontypridd but it’s been replaced by the challenges ahead. Now I want to work my cogs off to make sure we’re successful here at the Blues.”

McIntosh starts his role with the Blues next week meaning Pontypridd’s British & Irish Cup clash with London Welsh on Saturday is likely to be his last in charge of the club. Looking ahead to his new role, McIntosh said: “There’s excitement but sadness as well. It’s been an emotional roller coaster, I haven’t slept all week, but it’s been a tough transition for the right reasons.

“I love Pontypridd but I love life, I love challenges and I think there’s something special that’s going to happen at the Blues. I’ve got a lot of experience and I’ve always been defensive orientated. My job allows me to strip things right back and technically apply it. We have to adjust a few things here but when you play a lot of rugby, you have to prioritise things.

“I’ve coached a lot of these boys for a long time. I’ve played with Gethin Jenkins and Matthew Rees and they’re great friends, as is Bradley Davies. I know a lot about the boys, I know they’re strengths and weaknesses, what makes them tick and for that reason, I think the timing is right.”

After adding McIntosh to his coaching staff, Davies’ next priority is tomorrow’s Heineken Cup clash against Toulon. “I’ve known Dale for a long time as a player and coach and I’ve got a lot of respect for him,” said the Blues boss.

“We looked at him when I first arrived but now he’s here and he’ll make a big contribution. The passion he has for Pontypridd is massive and I know the loyalty he has there. Now that will be transferred to us and that’s massive.” 

On the announcement of McIntosh moving to the Blues, a Pontypridd club statement said: “Our club has a proven track record of contributing to the development of semi-professional and ultimately professional rugby players.

“It has adopted a similar philosophy towards the continued professional development of the coaches. Consequently, it was inevitable that sooner or later, our successful head coach would be appointed to a senior post at regional level.

“On the one hand, we are saddened to lose him. On the other, we congratulate him and wish him every success in his new role. He departs in the knowledge that he will always be welcome at Sardis Road.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness