Jump to main content

Community coach Gareth Sullivan reaping the rewards of getting involved

Gareth Sullivan

Gareth Sullivan coaches the Dragons All Stars mixed ability team and is Cwmbran junior section chair and coach

To mark Volunteers’ Week and National Coaching Week, Cwmbran’s Gareth Sullivan has spoken of the benefit he gets out of his rugby roles.

He has been coaching the Cwmbran mini and juniors since 2010 and is now the club’s coaching coordinator and chair of the club’s mini and junior section.

Share this page:

Gareth was instrumental in setting up the Dragons All Stars mixed ability team in 2017 and in its success in growing as a team since its relocation to Cwmbran last year.

“The roles allow me to experience first hand the enthusiasm and progression of so many youngsters from all backgrounds in the sport we love,” said Sullivan.

“I’ve been coaching at Cwmbran RFC since 2010 at various age groups. In 2015 I took the role of mini and juniors chair and the work with the Dragons All Stars mixed ability team has added a whole new dimension.

“With the help of Cwmbran, a number of vets and second XV players have joined the players with learning and physical disabilities so we now have around 40 registered players registered and playing regular fixtures.

“I think mixed ability rugby is one of the best things the sport has introduced. It has given me the opportunity to coach players who perhaps haven’t had the chance to be part of a rugby team before. There’s a great camaraderie, not just on the pitch but off it too, the guys just love it.

“I’ve also been given the opportunity to coach the Gwent youth team over the last two seasons and hope to continue my growth as a Level 2 coach.”

For more information on how to get involved in coaching or for development opportunties go to wrugamelocker.wales

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness