Jump to main content

Turnbull set for Quins coaching role

Josh Turnbull

Josh Turnbull will be combining his playing duties at Cardiff Blues with coaching the forwards at Welsh Premiership club Carmarthen Quins next season.

Share this page:

The Welsh international back row man is taking over as forwards coach following the decision by Emyr Phillips to step down as head coach after two seasons in charge at Carmarthen Park.

Turnbull is no newcomer to coaching having worked at Welsh Championship club Newcastle Emlyn, where he began his career, last season. He will join new head coach Craig Evans in the Quins’ coaching line-up for the 2020-21 campaign.

“It’s with sadness that we say farewell to Emyr, who has done a superb job as our Head Coach over the last two seasons. He worked brilliantly with the rest of the staff,” said Quins chairman, Jeff Thomas.

“As one chapter closes another opens and I’m delighted to welcome Josh Turnbull to the coaching team. Josh will continue to play for the Blues and will work with the rest of the staff around his other rugby commitments.

“Craig Evans will lead the coaching team and I am certain that we can look forward to building on this season with real anticipation.”

Phillips will now concentrate on his job as a Skills Coach within the Scarlets Academy. His decision also comes at a time when his wife is due shortly to return to full time employment after maternity leave.

“I didn’t want to be in a position where I was juggling jobs and stretching myself. I always asked for total commitment from the Quins players and I didn’t want to fall short on that obligation,” said Phillips.

“I really enjoyed my time at the club and learned a lot. It is a shame the season finished when it did because we were doing well in both the Premiership and the Cup.

“The players worked hard to earn a trip to Principality Stadium for the Cup final and everyone was looking forward to the semi-final clash with the holders, Cardiff. I’m leaving a settled group and I’m sure they will do well under Craig Evans and will enjoy having Josh come in as forwards coach.”

Phillips remains a huge advocate for the Premiership and will be monitoring the progress of a number of Scarlets Academy players at the Quins next season.

“The younger players learn so much off the pitch as well as on it by being involved in an environment like that. With so many question marks over the Celtic Cup and the A teams next season, the Premiership is going to be vitally important,” said Phillips.

“I realise just how important a stepping stone this league can be, especially as it was how I got a professional contract and then went on to play for Wales. There is good competition and physicality and the younger players have to grow up very quickly.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness