Jump to main content

Loader returns to boost ‘Fera

Loader returns to boost ‘Fera

Christian Loader (right) packing down with Welsh team mates Jon Humphreys and Lyndon Mustoe

Ystalyfera have added former Wales prop Christian Loader to their coaching team for next season as they seek to find the key to staying in the Specsavers Championship.

Share this page:

The Swansea Valley side were saved by the coronavirus crisis at the end of their first season in the second tier of the community game after ending up bottom of the table with only two wins in 17 outings.

With no promotion or relegation they will remain at the same level and Loader’s re-introduction to the club coaching set-up is obviously aimed at beefing up their forward effort as they compete against the likes of Pontypool Neath, Cross Keys, Cardiff Met, Bargoed and Bedwas.

“I had spell coaching at the club once before and I’ve also been at Seven Sisters and Swansea in the past,” said Loader, who won 19 Welsh caps in the front row.

“The boys always put their heart and soul into training and playing and I just hope I can add a bit of technical expertise to their efforts. There is a strong rugby tradition in the area and the club has done really well to climb as high as the Championship.

“Now we have to find a way of staying there. That’s the challenge for next season.”

Loader, who is a PE teacher at one of his old schools, Dwr y Felin, in Neath, won the Welsh Cup in 1995 and Welsh Premiership in 1996 while he was at Swansea and also featured in their Heineken Cup semi-final appearance in Toulouse in 1996.

He won the first of his 19 Welsh caps against the world champion Springboks in Johannesburg in 1995 and played his last international against the All Blacks at Wembley in 1997.

“Playing for Wales is still the dream of every rugby player and it was the greatest moment of my career when I won my first cap,” added Loader.

“Jonathan Humphreys was captain on that occasion and it has been great to see him come back to Wales to be part of the national coaching team. I’m sure he will do a great job.

“My role at Ystalyfera is to help the players become the best they can be and perhaps progress to an even higher level.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness