Jump to main content

Dowden claims Ponty record as he leaves Sardis Road

Dowden claims Ponty record as he leaves Sardis Road

Huw Dowden on the charge

Pontypridd stalwart Huw Dowden has decided to step down from the Indigo Group Premiership after moré than a decade in the top-tier.

Share this page:

The 31-year-old former Wales U18 and U19 international, who spent time in the Cardiff Blues Academy, signs-off at Sardis Road after making 258 appearances for the club.

“The past 10 years at Pontypridd have been great for me and I hold many cherished memories of the friendships made and the achievements on the field of play,” said Dowden.

“Last season I was unable to commit to the training levels required and felt it unfair on the club for me to continue. I can only thank the management team for bearing with me and I felt the time was now right to stand down.

“I will look back at my time with Ponty with immense pride, and I maintain that I am the club’s highest scoring hooker of all time.”

His claims are backed-up by 32 tries, but might get the statisticians checking the records of hookers of the past like Mike Alexander, Phil John and Mefin Davies. Whoever comes out on top, Pontypridd will be missing a potent attacking force next season with Dowden.

He made his Ponty debut on 13 September, 2008, when he came on as a replacement against Neath. He quickly established himself as a key member of the squad who was equally comfortable packing down at tight head prop as well as hooker.

During his time at the club Ponty won the Premiership title in 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 and the WRU Challenge Cup in 2011, 2013 and 2014. They also won the WRU Premiership Challenge Cup in 2016.

An assistant head-teacher, Dowden hopes to turn out for his home town team, Gilfach Goch, next season.

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness