Jump to main content

Roberts follows McBryde to Doncaster

Georeg Roberts

George Roberts is aiming to develop his game on and off the field with the Knights (Pic: Omega Photography)

George Roberts has followed former RGC team mate Billy McBryde to Doncaster Knights.

Share this page:

The 22-year-old hooker is the latest Indigo Group Premiership player to switch to the English Championship next season and try his hand at full-time rugby.

Roberts was given the chance to step up to first-choice with the Gogs last season following the departure to Cardiff of former captain Evan Yardley. That enabled him to complete the transformation from Academy inductee in 2016 to first-team regular three year later.

“Being submerged in a professional rugby environment is an opportunity I can’t wait for. My main focus is to develop both on and off the rugby field,” said Roberts, who combined playing for RGC with studying Sports Science at Bangor University.

“I want do to everything I can to help the Knights by performing to the highest possible standard. I also really want to enjoy playing rugby at Doncaster and build healthy positive relationships with players, staff and the fans.”

Knights head coach Steve Boden admits that George is a player he has had his eye on for a while and that he believes can develop successfully in a full-time environment.

“George is a player I’ve tracked, he’s a good athlete and has a good turn of pace for a front row and a very high work rate,” he said.

“The set piece will be an area of development for him, especially with the step up to Championship level, but with the hunger he has to learn we believe he can make the jump and we’re excited to see where he can go.”

Another North Walian, prop Joe Jones, has switched from Sale Sharks to the Knights to bolster their Welsh connections. The 24-year-old made 29 appearances for the Sharks during his time at the club after joining in March, 2018.

He had previously won five caps for Wales U20 while in the Cardiff Blues Academy, during which time he played for Cardiff and Pontypridd in the Premiership. He also spent two seasons in France, helping Perpignan win the PROD 2 title.

“I hope to nail down the starting jersey and provide a dominant set piece throughout the season. It’s a hungry squad and I hope to be a big part of it next season,” said Jones.

FORMER WELSH PREMIERSHIP / CHAMPIONSHIP PLAYERS IN THE ENGLISH CHAMPIONSHIP

Ampthill
Tomi Lewis (Llandovery)
Ex-Wales U20 Syd Blackmore

Bedford Blues
Lewis Robling (Newport / Cross Keys / Bedwas)
Huw Worthington (RGC)

Cornish Pirates
Rhodri Davies (Llandovery)
Craig Mitchell (Neath)
Alec Swartz (RGC 1404)
Ex Wales 7s Jean-Baptist Bruzulier

Coventry
Will Owen (Ebbw Vale / Cross Keys)

Doncaster Knights
Jack Davies (Cardiff)
Kyle Evans (Llanelli / Merthyr)
Joe Jones (Cardiff / Pontypridd)