Jump to main content

Jones and Bridgend look to brighter future

Jones and Bridgend look to brighter future

Bridgend Ravens in Indigo Group Premiership action against Cardiff

Former Wales hooker Steve Jones believes the struggles experienced by his Bridgend players to stay afloat in the Indigo Group Premiership last season will help them not to sink when rugby returns for the 2020-21 campaign.

Share this page:

With only three wins in 18 games before the season was cut short due to coronavirus, the Ravens were odds on to drop out of the top-flight. They were eight points adrift of Llanelli and Ebbw Vale who also had games in hand.

The pandemic saved them from Bridgend dreaded drop, but hopes are high for a change in fortunes when rugby returns with Jones leading the coaching group at the Brewery Field for a second season.

He will have Alun Wyn Davies continuing as defence and scrum coach, Tom Grabham staying on to look after the backs, and Jeff Pick joining them to work as an assistant forwards and skills coach.

“I’m really glad to be keeping together the coaching team from last season. It was a difficult campaign for many reasons, but we feel the experiences of last season have taught us plenty of lessons to take forward,” said Jones.

“We had a difficult pre-season last season, but we have hit the ground running this year. We are fortunate we could put our plans in place early and, as a coaching team, the new board have given us free reign on all preparations.

“I’m glad Alun Wyn and Tom will continue in their roles and I’m really pleased to add Jeff to the coaching group. His rugby experience is vast.”

Team manager Meredith Griffith has also committed to the club for a fifth consecutive season to add to the continuity at the club that was taken over by a supporter’s trust earlier in the year.

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness