Jump to main content

Turnbull looking for Quins coaching boost

Turnbull looking for Quins coaching boost

Josh Turnbull

Cardiff Blues back row man Josh Turnbull is preparing for life after playing by working his way up the coaching ladder.

Share this page:

Having had previous experience helping the Scarlets Academy and U18s, Cardiff Blues U18s and home town club Newcastle Emlyn, the Wales international is stepping into a forwards role at Premiership side Carmarthen Quins next season.

“I’ve been involved in coaching for eight years now. It all started when I was at the Scarlets and it has progressed from there,” said the 32-year-old Turnbull.

“I helped out my local club Newcastle Emlyn last season and this is just a progression and step up to the Premiership with the Quins. I’ve had the blessing from the Blues to do it.

“It is something I want to go into after rugby. I am trying to gain as much experience as possible before getting involved full time.”

After seven season at the Scarlets, Turnbull is now in his seventh campaign in the Welsh capital. His career has probably been worth more than the 10 caps he has picked up to date, but the back row in his time has been one of the most competitive areas in the Welsh side.

He led the Blues into their return against the Scarlets last week and picked up a yellow card in the 32-12 defeat. He has no thoughts of hanging up his boots just yet, but sees coaching as a likely career path when he does finally retire.

“I want to stay involved in the game for as long as possible, as long as the game will have me. I enjoy being  involved,” he added.

“It has been great to see some of the Scarlets U18 players I worked with go on to become future internationals. It’s nice to say I’ve played a part in that.

“At community level I’d arrive for sessions not knowing how many players would turn up or be available for the Saturday. That was all part of the learning curve and now I’ll be stepping up to the semi-pro ranks.

“The Premiership has always been a good place for Academy players to play.  When I first started they were in the Championship and Division 1 and I went out to play for Llandovery and Llanelli.

“At 18/19 you are coming up against former pros or fully professional players. If you can become one of the better players in the Premiership you are always going to have a good opportunity to become a professional player if you’ve got the right attitude.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness