Jump to main content

New wheels make dream a reality for Pontyclun’s Hobbsy

Jonathan Hobbs

Jonathan Hobbs is now able to enjoy watching his children play rugby thanks to the fundraising efforts of his club Pontyclun

Watching your children play mini rugby on a Sunday is something most parents would be forgiven for taking for granted but this wasn’t a possibility for father of four Jonathan Hobbs – until now.

Share this page:

Former Pontyclun full-back Hobbs suffered a life-changing injury 14 years ago while on holiday and has been confined to a wheelchair ever since.

Unfortunately, his chair wasn’t suitable for rugby pitches which was heart-breaking for this rugby dad so when the club looked for a cause to galvanise fellow Badgers during lockdown, they didn’t need to look far. They decided on a physical challenge to raise funds for an off-road wheelchair so that Jon could watch his sons from a much closer distance.

The goal struck such a chord with the whole club that more than 120 Pontyclun players, parents, coaches and volunteers ended up clocking up 6989 miles between them to raise £15 000 – more than enough to make Jon’s dream come true.

Jonathan, who has two sons Alfie and Jenson involved in the club’s minis section, was initially surprised by the initiative but hugely grateful for the support shown by the club – and now that he’s received the new chair he couldn’t be happier with the end result.

In a message to all those who helped raised he money, he said, “I want to thank every single person who has donated to make this happen and for all of you that have gone out and done the mileage, you absolutely smashed both the target and the distance!! The support we have been shown as a family is unbelievable and we are completely blown away by it.

“Two weeks ago I had my final fitting in my chair and even though I knew it was going to change my life I really had no idea just how much. I’ve managed to do so much in two weeks already from taking the kids to theme parks, farm parks, parks and just out walking the usual trails which my old wheelchair wouldn’t go anywhere near. On top of that not only does it give me independence but the comfort is unreal and that’s thanks to you all for the extra money raised to buy all the extras like air cushions, extended backrest, side supports and headrest. I’ve never sat comfortably and pain free in a wheelchair before so it’s completely changed my quality of life.

“I gained so much from rugby and I will always be as involved as possible in my children’s activities, but it will be so much better to watch their progress for myself – rather than taking Alfie’s word that he’s had a good game – which is what he always tells me!

“I’d like to say a special thanks to Helen Parsons who has been the driving force behind all the fundraising and has been there through the whole process, even the fittings and handover to make sure everything was perfect. I’d also like to thank Mark Jones, Huw Probyn and all the senior, junior and mini sections for not just the donations but ticking off the miles come rain or shine, you smashed it.

“Thank you to Recare for an outstanding service and taking the time to get the chair right, nothing has ever been an issue. Again, THANK YOU ALL and I’ll look forward to seeing you all over the coming months for a beer.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness