Jump to main content

Merthyr must show significant progress to beat Cardiff, says McIntosh

Merthyr must show significant progress to beat Cardiff, says McIntosh

Merthyr head coach Dale McIntosh.

Dale McIntosh has told his Merthyr players they must improve their discipline to have any chance of beating Cardiff tomorrow.

Share this page:

Merthyr have endured a rocky start to the season winning just once in their opening five Premiership Cup games. And they host a Cardiff side at the Wern who will be packed full of regional players such as Harri Millard and Sam Moore.

“Our discipling this season has killed us and that’s because of a lack of continuity but we’ve been better in the last few games,” said the former Pontypridd star.

“We have had enough possession and territory to win games this season. To win games you’ve got to put it to bed by doing the small things right and we haven’t quite done that enough this season.

“When we’ve been under pressure we’ve folded like deck chairs and that’s been quite scary, but I am confident we are heading in the right direction again. We’ve got a strong squad here, but we need to play for that jersey.”

Elsewhere in the eastern conference second placed Newport face a difficult trip to third placed Ebbw Vale. Newport are the only side who have beaten top of the conference Cardiff this season and are in the form of their lives.

Pontypridd take on RGC 1404 at Sardis Road in the other eastern conference clash. “We want to win as many games as we can, and try to finish as high up the table as we can,” said Pontypridd openside Cally James.

“Personally I just want to play well and enjoy it. Playing for Ponty is quite special and I think it comes and goes so you’ve got to take it all in. I love it.”

In the western conference top of the table Aberavon face second placed Llandovery at Talbot Athletic Ground. The Wizards are currently five points clear of the Drovers, and will take a step closer to the finals should they emerge victorious, while Llandovery will need to bounce back from a shock home defeat to Bridgend last weekend.

In a west Wales derby Llanelli, who are bottom of the table and winless, host Carmarthen Quins at Parc y Scarlets, while Bridgend face Swansea at the Brewery Field.

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness