Jump to main content

Aberavon’s Aled aiming for repeat of 2009 World Cup final

Aberavon’s Aled aiming for repeat of 2009 World Cup final

Aled Thomas dives in to score Wales' match winner in the 2009 World Cup Sevens final in Dubai © Huw Evans Picture Agency

Aled Thomas still can’t forget the last time he played in a cup final, but then why would he! The Aberavon outside half scored the winning try to secure the biggest rugby trophy Wales has ever won, the 2009 Rugby World Cup Sevens.

Share this page:

That was in the desert in front of 40,000 people in Dubai, but if he can turn back the clock and come up with a similar match winning performance for the Wizards in the Indigo Group Premiership Cup final at Principality Stadium today he will be more than happy.

Aberavon tackle Newport in the third and final game of the second day of the ‘Road to Principality 2022’ showpiece matches. After Trimsaran v Bedwas and Bargoed v Neath in the Championship events, the stage will be set for Thomas and co to strut their stuff.

“I still have really vivid memories of 2009 – it is a day in my life that will never leave me. I’ll be thinking about that occasion when we run out at the Principality and hoping for a repeat,” said the 37-year-old Thomas.

“I’ve always wanted to play in a final at the home of Welsh rugby and I’m delighted we’ve been able to stay strong and make it this season. It was bitterly disappointing when COVID struck in 2019 and we were due to play Merthyr in the semi-finals of the WRU Challenge Cup.

“That felt like a missed opportunity because we had some real momentum behind us at the time. Now we’ve got the chance to fulfil our dream, although we know how tough it is going to be against Newport.”

Throughout his professional career with the Scarlets, Gloucester, Dragons and London Welsh he never got the chance to taste the special atmosphere of playing in a final. He didn’t make the 23 when the Scarlets reached the PRO12 final.

Aled Thomas with the Melrose Cup

That’s why he intends to make the most of his latest big day out, although it is likely to be a little lower key than that great day in Dubai.

“I can remember walking out for the final and heading into a wall of photographers. The noise from the crowd was amazing and for the first time in my sevens career we lined-up for the national anthems,” recalled Thomas. “That was special. Then we went on to beat Argentina and won the World Cup!”

If nothing will ever top that, he’d certainly take an Aberavon win today as a close-run second. He went up to Cardiff with his 11-year-old son, Zac, for some kicking practice on Friday to get his bearings and knows the battle between his boot and that of Newport’s Will Reed could prove vital.

Reed is back in the Black & Amber fold for the final having missed their last two league games because of Dragons call-ups. Significantly, Newport lost at home to both RGC and Merthyr to lose their previously vice-like grip on the Premiership title race.

At 20, Reed is seen as one of the rising stars at No 10 in Wales and played for Wales U20 last year. One of his successors this year, Dan Edwards, has been learning his trade at Aberavon under the tutelage of Thomas this season.

“Both Will and Dan are great prospects. Will works so well with Matt O’Brien in the Newport back line and will definitely be someone we will have to keep an eye on,” said Thomas.

“I’ve loved working with Dan this season and I think he’s got a very bright future ahead of him. I think having a mix of experience and youth works well and while he pushes me to meet the highest standards to get selected, I like to think I can offer him the benefit of the knowledge I’ve picked up during my professional career.

“I’ve signed on for at least one more year and if I can help Dan to embed himself in the Ospreys set-up then I’ll feel as though I’ve done him, the club and the game a service.”

But today will all be about the winning. The Aberavon pack has a fearsome reputation and will want to get on top at the set-piece, while Newport will seek a more free-flowing encounter.

Wales U18 coach O’Brien provides the ‘X-Factor’ in the Newport back line and the stage is set for a classic encounter.

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness