Jump to main content

Gazzi is Gorseinon’s master gopher – on and off the field!

Gazzi is Gorseinon’s master gopher – on and off the field!

Still a pass master! Andrew Gazzi in action last weekend

It seemed such a good idea on Saturday afternoon to get back out there with the lads and have a run around. How tough could it be?  

Share this page:

But once the adrenalin stops pumping, and the anaesthetising effect of the post-match beers subsides, the reality quickly sets in on Sunday morning.  

Nevertheless, Gorseinon president Andrew Gazzi has pledged to pull on his boots again at any time in the future to ensure the club’s 2nd XV can field a full complement.  

At the age of 61, the former South Glamorgan Institute, Maesteg and Llanelli scrum half ought to be propping up the bar or at worst running the line on match day. But when the call comes to help out in any area at Gorseinon, Gazzi can’t help himself!  

Earlier this season he filled a shirt as a replacement for the 1st XV in an Admiral Division 1 West fixture at Aberystwyth. He was more than happy to be surplus to requirements on that occasion.  

But when four players pulled out at the last-minute last weekend for a 2nd XV game against Gowerton he went to the boot of his car, pulled out the boots, dusted off the 2017 mud from his last competitive appearance and simply got on with it.  

“You’ve got to be a little bit mad to still be playing at 61 and I have to admit I didn’t tell my wife. She wouldn’t have been happy,” admitted Gazzi.  

“Four players cried off on the morning of the match and I left it until the last minute before I volunteered. I’m the gopher at the club – president, treasurer and occasionally emergency sub.  

“I thought I could still put in a shift at scrum half, as long as I ran in straight lines. After two cartilage operations in my younger days there is no question of trying to side-step anyone these days.  

“You forget how physical the game is these days. I jarred my knee a little bit, ended up with a few bumps and bruises, but thoroughly enjoyed the first 20 minutes.  

“The next morning was a struggle. I ached from my neck, shoulders and down my back and I was stiff as a board.   

“I still like to think I’m in reasonable shape and I try to run 5k every day and often go out training with the lads. I think it is good for me as president of the club to set an example.  

“When a few of them got what I call ‘Aber-it is’ for the game at Aberystwyth I volunteered to act as a replacement. I’m just so glad I wasn’t called on because that level is probably way beyond a man of my age these days.”  

More used to serving former Wales and British & Irish Lions full back Gwyn Evans during his Maesteg days, and Geraint John during his college days, Gazzi now puts all his effort into helping his club. He was captain between 1988-92 and has been president for the past five years.  

“I got a few messages after the club posted a picture of me playing on our Twitter channel. Leighton O’Connor, who used to be one of my rivals for the No 9 jersey at Maesteg, was the first to pile in,” added Gazzi.  

“We lost 42-10 to a very youthful Gowerton side, but that wasn’t too bad for a Dad’s Army outfit!” 

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness