Jump to main content

Bancroft fills in for Dubai-bound O’Brien in Newport XV

Bancroft fills in for Dubai-bound O’Brien in Newport XV

Matt O'Brien scored 34 points against Bridgend

Matt Bancroft has been handed the biggest responsibility of his rugby career by filling in for Newport skipper Matt O’Brien at No 10 in the Indigo Premiership play-off semi-final.

Share this page:

O’Brien will be on the beach in Dubai by the time his team takes the field at the Arms Park to battle arch-rivals Cardiff for a place in the final.  Bancroft, who joined Newport from Pontypridd in January, has only started four games at outside half this season for the Black & Ambers.

The Dragons academy coach and Newport captain had already re-scheduled his family holiday once before the Premiership season was extended for the second time due to the bad weather suffered throughout the campaign.

That left him with a terrible decision to make – let down his family or miss the semi-final? If Newport make it through to the final, he may be able to return in time for next Sunday’s showdown with either Llandovery or Merthyr.

“It has been an incredibly difficult decision to make, but I couldn’t just cancel the holiday. We’d already moved it once and we have to fit in with the time I get off in the close season at the Dragons and my wife’s job.

“There was simply no time left to take the holiday. It’s going to be difficult not being there, but I still think we’ve got enough in us to win in Cardiff.”

Ironically, Cardiff, who beat Newport in the WRU Premiership Cup final two weeks ago and who finished top of the table in the regular season, will also be missing their talisman at No 10. Dan Fish broke a bone in his wrist in last weekend’s win over Merthyr and is out of Sunday’s semi-final and the final if required.

“It might be a better game without us,” quipped O’Brien, “there’ll probably be more running and less kicking.

“Dan has been important for Cardiff all season, but they have a Wales U20 cap in Harrison James to come in to replace him. I have full faith in Matt Bancroft being able to deliver in my absence.

“This has been an incredibly competitive season and the four best teams in the league have made the play-offs. Any one of them could beat the other and I think we’ve got as good a shot as anyone of winning the title.

“After a poor start to the season we targeted a fourth place finish to get into the play-offs and we’ve had a great run to get there. Last weekend’s win over Llandovery showed we are in good form, and we’ll go to the Arms Park full of confidence.”

Wales U20 captain Ryan Woodman will get a pre-World Junior Championships run out in the second row for Newport. Another rising star, Joe Westwood is fit to resume at centre.

Newport: Ioan Davies; Jon Morris, Chay Foster-Smith, Joe Westwood, Elliot Frewen; Matt Bancroft, Dafydd Buckland; Thomas Davies, Henry Palmer, Nathan Evans, Craig Hudd, Ryan Woodman, Rhys Jenkins, Josh Reid, Ben Roach (captain)
Reps: Jack Gillard, Tom Workman, Luke Yendle, George Young, Kyle Tayler, Che Hope, Geraint O’Driscoll, Carwyn Penny

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness