Jump to main content

Allen happy with senior pro role as he seeks another title

Cardiff

Cardiff won the Indigo Premiership Cup by beating Newport in the final last season

Morgan Allen has been both captain and on field coach and confidente at Cardiff since arriving in 2018 and he hopes to get his hands on another trophy at the Arms Park (Sunday, 21 May kick-off 5.15pm).

Share this page:

The former Wales U20 No 8, who played for Dragons, Scarlets and Ospreys at regional level, is still a guiding light on the field as a player even at the age of 33, but he is more than that to the youngsters around him.

Current Wales U20 back row men, teenage idols Mackenzie Martin and Lucas de la Rua, have been able to benefit from their captain’s experience this season and both will be hoping to have a major impact off the bench in the Indigo Premiership final against Llandovery.

“At my age, I see myself as someone who can guide the younger players. I played my first Premiership game in 2009 and since then the standards have really improved,” said Allen.

“It is unrecognisable from those days and now a very professional set-up with a lot of coaches with different roles. It’s nice to be able to offer advice to youngsters and then you see them go on to win Welsh caps.

“We need this league to prosper because it offers proper playing experiences. As a youngster, you can spend as much time in the gym or doing conditioning work as you like, but you only become a better rugby player by playing rugby.

“We need young players playing matches. The standards have improved a lot, but is there work still to be done? Yes, there is, across the whole league, but we’re getting there.”

Steve Law’s Cardiff club side, or ‘The Rags’ as they have been dubbed, became the developmental arm of their reginal owners, Cardiff Rugby, last season and their model has worked well. Lawe has four current Wals U20 caps in his side and the bench for the final contains seven academy players.

Law has transformed the club’s fortunes since joining in 2017 and has won the cup twice and is now aiming for a second league title. In addition, he has seen players like Ben Thomas, Jim Botham, Max Llewellyn and James Ratti develop into regional regulars.

“They come into an environment where they have to earn the right to play for the club. There are no gimmees at this level and they get to play when they are good enough,” said Law.

“Winning matters, as does playing for the badge. It is not about picking up a few minutes hear and there before moving on to bigger and better things, it is all about working hard and learning on the job.

“That’s what the Premiership should be all about. The semi-pro players are equally as important as the youngsters coming through because they set the standards and show them the way.

“Everyone playing against Llandovery has earned the right to play in the final and that’s the way it should be. I’ve got complete faith in the academy players we’ve picked.”

Cardiff: Cam Winnett; Joe Goodchild, Ioan Evans, Arron Pinches, Dewi Cross; Harrison James, Tom Habberfield; Marc Thomas, Alun Rees, Scott Andrews, Sean Moore, Ethan Phillips, Ellis Thomas, Nathan Hudd, Morgan Allen (captain)
Reps: Evan Lloyd, Rhys Barratt, Freddie Barnes, Mackenzie Martin, Lucas De La Rua, Ethan Lloyd, Ryan Wilkins, Jacob Lloyd

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness