Jump to main content

Swansea Hawkes head coach takes home Community Volunteer Award

Swansea Hawkes head coach takes home Community Volunteer Award

Wales Women's Gwen Crabb presents the Male Senior Coach Community Award to Keith Pritchard

Keith Pritchard’s dedication and inspirational coaching has been recognised through the WRU Community Volunteer Awards.

Share this page:

Yet he is quick to pass the praise on to others. Pritchard is the head coach and hub lead at West Swansea Hawks, where he has guided the ladies team up from the bottom of the league to near the top of the table.

He takes training four days a week, working with a number of age groups, and attends all matches every Sunday.

During Covid-19, he produced training videos each week and he plans all the games, festivals and presentation nights for the Gowerton-based Hawks. In addition, he has raised £17,500 through sponsors to provide kit and equipment.

His efforts have now been rewarded with him being named Male Senior Community Coach in the inaugural WRU volunteer awards.

In nominating him for the prize, one Hawks player said: “He is brilliant, he is so dedicated to coaching and inspires us all to play.”

Giving his own outlook on his role, Pritchard said: “We all love success, but the truth is I think it’s about development.

“Seeing girls that have never picked up a rugby ball until they have got here, then developing those into capable players and players that go on to represent regionally, nationally, I think that’s the most rewarding part, the development.

“It doesn’t all have to be about internationals and regionals. Girls just enjoying the game, coming here really nervous and then being very capable on the pitch, that’s probably the most rewarding part.

“I was very lucky to be coached by some great coaches and I suppose the trick is to give back something that was once given to me.”

On his award, he said: “It’s a great honour, but it’s not down to one person. The girls probably deserve it more than me. They are the ones that turn up every week. It’s very easy to coach great players. I think it’s an award for West Swansea Hawks, the players, the coaches, the volunteers.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness