Jump to main content

Pilliner recognised as WRU Young Volunteer of the Year

Ieuan Pilliner and Josh Navidi

Ieuan Pilliner receiving his award from Wales ex-international Josh Navidi

Having been involved with Bridgend Sports RFC since he was seven years old, Ieuan Pilliner is now putting back into the club as a coach and referee.  And all this at the grand old age of 16!

Share this page:

The teenager’s sterling work has been recognised by him being named the joint winner of Young Volunteer of the Year in the WRU Community Volunteer Awards.

Pilliner, who plays for Bridgend Sports Youth, coaches the club’s U10s team. “I wanted to volunteer because I enjoy rugby,” he explained.

“I have a passion for the game and it’s just nice to see kids enjoy it and everyone enjoy the whole sport.  I also help out when I can, setting up, and helping around the club on Saturdays and Sundays when the food is being served.”

On the award, he said: “I am very grateful for the people who have voted for me and put me in this position.

Youth team coach Adrian Holie said: “It’s really good to have Ieuan involved in the coaching here at the club.

“He is a player himself in the Youth team and has been with us since he was seven, so it’s really good to see him put a bit back in.

“He coaches for us, he referees for us and he’s someone who the kids really look up to. In that mentorship role, he’s young enough but old enough to help them at this U10 age.”

Rebecca Powell, who put the teenager’s name forward for the award, said: “I nominated Ieuan because I am just so impressed with his commitment to the club.

“He turns up and on Sundays especially when he does some refereeing he is just phenomenal.  “He holds his own even when there is heckling from other sides. For someone so young, he is so confident and it’s just so rare these days to see youngsters getting involved and giving up their own time. I just think he totally deserves this award.”

Pilliner was the joint winner of the Young Volunteer Award along with five-year old Ava Mathieson who has raised around £1000 for her brother’s U14s team at St Peters RFC.

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness