Jump to main content

Trio boost Pontypridd backline

Josh Phillips

Ex-Wales U20 fly half Josh Phillips is set to join Pontypridd

Pontypridd have boosted their back line for next season by signing three top young talents. 

Share this page:

Josh Phillips has signed from the currently disbanded Llanelli RFC, Ryan Wilkins has joined from Cardiff RFC and Macauley Rowley has switched from Ystrad Rhondda. 

Outside half Phillips played for Wales U18 and U20 and ended last season as Llanelli’s leading points scorer in the Indigo Premiership. Wilkins was released by Cardiff Rugby at the end of last season having played twice in the Heineken Champions Cup and for Cardiff RFC in the Indigo Prem final. 

Rowley has been one of the success stories at Championship club Ystrad, who finished fourth in the league, won the Mid District Cup and ended as runners-up to Pontypool in the WRU Championship Cup final at Principality Stadium 

The 21-year-old Phillips hails from the Rhondda and played for Pontypridd Juniors. He won the Dewar Shield with Rhondda Schools in his teens before going on to represent Cardiff Blues U16 and U18. 
He was then snapped up by the Scarlets on a long-term contract 17 and played for the Scarlets ‘A’ team and for the senior side in a pre-season friendly against Bristol Bears. 

“I’m very excited to get stuck in with Ponty again. I spent four years playing junior rugby there and I’m looking forward to a challenging and hopefully successful season in black and white,” said Phillips. 

Wilkins came through the Mini and Junior ranks at Pontyclun RFC before captaining Ponty Schools to Dewar Shield glory in 2018. He went into the Cardiff Blues Academy and played for the U16 and U18 teams. 

“Pontypridd is a club that played a massive part in my development in the early stages of my career and I’m looking forward to returning to Sardis Road,” said Wilkins. 

The 21-year-old Rowley is well known to Ponty coaches Gareth Wyatt and Lee Davies having worked under them at Coleg Y Cymoedd. He also played for Rhondda Schools and Cardiff Blues U16 and U18. 
“McCauley is a young centre of real quality who has been earning his stripes in the senior game with distinction at Ystrad Rhondda, playing a big part in their success. His defensive qualities and balanced running will bring real quality to our squad,” said Wyatt. 

Wilkins recovered from an ACL injury last season to play in the Indigo Premiership final and had hoped to remain in the regional set-up. Now he will get the chance to rebuild his career in familiar surrounds. 

“The signing of Ryan shows the intent of the club. He is a top end performer who had a tough season last year recovering from an ACL injury,” said Davies.  
“But he has looked ever the quality performer on his return during the later part of the season for Cardiff. He is a powerful ball carrier, has an excellent skill set and he will certainly add to our midfield options. 

“Josh has developed greatly over the past few seasons and has become an exceptional kicker. This, paired with his vision and athletic capability, mean we certainly have a good prospect on our hands.” 

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness