Jump to main content

Ready to ref courses aiming to raise female numbers

Jenny DVIES

Jenny Davies in charge of the WRU Womens South Wales Cup Final at Principality Stadium

The Welsh Rugby Union (WRU) are hoping to unearth some hidden gems when they host four female-only Ready to Ref courses in north and south Wales over the coming weeks.

Share this page:

Two courses will be held at the National Centre of Excellence on Saturday 16th September and Sunday the 17th. Courses will also be held at Parc Eirias on Sunday 8th October and Sunday 15th October.

Completion of the course will qualify successful candidates to referee Under 12 to U16 girls and boys age groups.

The course has been designed to support all new referees, through both classroom and practical based learning. The course is open to volunteers of all ability, though all participants must be at least 14-years-old.

The WRU have stressed these are the starting points for all referees, but participants can progress or remain at the level that best suits their needs, whether they just want to referee in the female game or both whereas ambitious and aspiring referees can progress straight to the level 2 induction programme. This then qualifies individuals to referee in the senior game, U18 girls and boys to senior women and men’s games while supported by a WRU referee coach.

“The aim is to encourage more females into officiating. The target audience is everyone from current/ex-players, rugby enthusiasts, coaches and any volunteers within the game,” said WRU referee development lead Sean Brickell.

“Part of our refereeing strategy is to develop the women’s and girls’ game. As a result, there will be two courses in the immediate future targeting women and girls in the north and south of Wales.

“There are amazing opportunities for not only female players, but match officials too. Competitions are run globally, and we need referees to support these, however referees can take it as far as they wish, it’s down to their personal ambitions and aspirations, but supporting the community game is just as important as officiating at the elite end of the game. Whatever they choose, we will support them,” he added.

Amber Stamp-Dunstan is a shining example of how quickly an official can rise up the ladder domestically and internationally.

Since attending the first female-only course, her trajectory has only gone up in one direction. She has refereed in the WRU National men’s Championship and acted as an assistant referee in the Premiership. She has also refereed at the recent U18s girls Six Nations, and in the past two years, refereed in Holland, Hungary, Poland, Dubai and Scotland.

“I’ve enjoyed every step of my journey so far, I’m giving it 100 per cent and I’ll see where it takes me,” she said.

“I’ve been really well-supported at all levels of my development, from referee assessors and coaches watching my games and giving me feedback to the Gwent Referees’ Society who sort out the fixtures and Sean Brickell from the WRU is always available at the end of a phone with any advice or if I have a question about a game I’m watching.”

Stamp-Dunstan and former Wales international Jennie Davies are blazing a trail for women’s referees and both will officiate in the Welsh Championship this season – the highest grades for any female official.

Both have no hesitation in recommending the Ready to Ref courses for anybody thinking about taking up the whisle.

“I would encourage anyone who is contemplating becoming a referee, come and be part of the refereeing family,” said Davies. “I wouldn’t have progressed as far as I have without the support of referees in north Wales and it would be nice to have more females in the family.

“The WRU ref department, advisors and the North Wales society welcomed me with open arms and have been extremely supportive. Without their kindness and support I wouldn’t have progressed, improved my health and fitness and got the buzz back for being on the pitch.”

Stamp-Dunstan added: “Just give it a go – even if you just want to referee at a local club on a Sunday. They are still so vitally important to the game as it keeps the whole system in place. Just give it a go and see where it takes you.”

WRU National performance manager for referees, Paul Adams is hoping the Ready to Ref courses will build on the foundations Davies and Stamp-Dunstan have established and see more referees follow in their footsteps.

“There are exciting opportunities available for women’s referees, especially as the popularity of the game increases,” he said

“We have high hopes of producing our first women’s Test match referee in the near future and hope that by offering courses such as these then who knows – one of the participants might achieve that goal,” he said.

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness