Jump to main content

Baker switches to familiar surroundings

Dan Baker

Dan Baker in action for the Dragons

Former Wales international Dan Baker, who featured for Aberavon last season, has returned to where it all started with a switch to Ystradgynlais.

Share this page:

Turn back the clock a long way and there were suggestions the Wales age grade sensation would become a Test regular in the back row with his outstanding ball-carrying. But a run of serious injuries meant he was unable to truly exploit his natural talent.

He left the Ospreys for French outfit Stade Montois before returning to Wales at the Dragons and then dropping down a grade with the Wizards.

But his work outside the game, doing one of the world’s most dangerous jobs, as a roustabout on a rig in the oil and gas industry, made it hard for him to commit to that level of rugby and he took in a spell with lower-league Pontardawe.

Now, the amiable forward, who won three caps for Wales, is in Admiral National League Division One with his hometown club, Ystradgynlais.

“It was too big a commitment to play Premiership rugby and work on the rigs. When I’d be home, I’d want to spend time with my family and felt bad about not being able to train as often as I wanted,” he said.

“Aberavon were brilliant. They tried to get me a job locally, but I’m loving doing what I’m doing, and I’m looking forward to playing for Ystradgynlais.”

Baker’s job is classed as one of the most perilous in the maritime world, with those doing it needing to take extra special care every single minute of every single day when they are offshore. The work is physical, shifts are long, and dangers can include swinging loads, high winds and mountainous waves.

By comparison, Division One rugby should be a breeze.

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness