Jump to main content

Dewar Shield Final – What they had to say!

Dewar Shield Final – What they had to say!

Bridgend celebrate with the Dewar Shield

Bridgend & District Schools’ two try hero Sam Watkins picked up the player of the match award in his side’s thrilling 19-18 win over Mynydd Mawr & Dinefwr.

Share this page:

It was the first time since 1990 that Bridgend had won the most coveted title at U16 level in Wales, but their hearts were in their mouths in the final play of the game when MMD outside half Tom Evans had a shot at goal to win the game.

Sam Watkins, player of the match
“It’s amazing, totally overwhelming with all the people watching – and to win, it’s massive. I had my head in my hands watching the last kick, as nervous as hell, I didn’t know what to think.

“We were more than a score ahead and I thought it was going well for us. Then they brought it back and it was squeaky bum time.

“All the boys gave it their all and we got the win at the end. It is an absolute honour to play here, amazing to be honest. A lot of the crowd were from Bridgend and I would like to thank everyone – it was overwhelming how many came to support us.”

Gregg Davies, Bridgend & District Schools Team Manager
“First final for me in 16 years and first win. I thought he had kicked it at the end, it left his foot and it looked like it all over. I turned away and it was only when our coaches ran on jumping and celebrating that I realised it had missed.

“I’m glad we won, to lose would have been gutting but now we are celebrating. The Dewar Shield is a tradition, it has changed to Under 16, but it has remained a tradition.

“It always felt against the run of play. Mynedd Mawr were outstanding, they were so organised, but somehow we kept our energy and kept scrambling.  We went eight points up and I thought surely now we are on top and will keep doing it, but it was squeaky bum at the end to say the least.”

Warren Leach, Mynedd Mawr & Dynefwr head coach
“What a spectacle and what an honour to play on this pitch. With privilege comes a challenge, but fair play to Bridgend a superb performance and hopefully we will be back.

“We’ve enjoyed the journey and long may it continue. Our boys have got ‘Calon’ and spirit, they gave their all and we couldn’t have asked for more.

“Hopefully we will see a few of these in a red jersey one day. They certainly showed the effort to get there because it came down to a golden goal in the end.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness