Jump to main content

March: Kieran Murphy

March: Kieran Murphy

Llandovery and Scarlets back row man Kieran Murphy has clinched the Principality Premiership Player of the Month award for March.

Share this page:

The Aberdeen-born No 8 played in all three of Llandovery’s matches during the month, against Llanelli, Cross Keys and Carmarthen Quins, scoring a try against Carmarthen. He also scored a hat trick of tries in the Drovers’ 50-20 victory over Swansea last weekend, helping the side to climb back to fourth in the Principality Premiership as the race for places in the Premiership Play-Offs hots up.

Murphy, who played his early rugby for South Gower juniors and Mumbles’ youth and senior side before joining Llandovery is contracted to the Scarlets, playing 18 competitive matches for the Region this season.

He said, “I’ve enjoyed playing for Llandovery for the last couple of months, we’ve had a few wins now in the last couple of weeks so we are pushing for a place in the Play-Offs again. I enjoy the attitude in Llandovery and the running rugby we play, it suits my game.

“Personally I just want to keep playing well and for the team to keep playing well. It would be great to get back into the Scarlets side as they aim for the play-offs too.”

Kieran Murphy Factfile
Born: 19.1.88, Aberdeen
Most admired player: As a child, Jonah Lomu and now Richie McCaw
Education: Bishopston School, Gower College, Birmingham University studying Economic Geography
Biggest influence on career: Parents who watch all games

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness