Jump to main content

McIntosh targets BIC success

McIntosh targets BIC success

Pontypridd head coach Dale McIntosh says he is looking for his side to make a real impact in next season’s British & Irish Cup competition.

Share this page:

The club’s former No. 8 guided Pontypridd to a first ever league and cup double last season, a feat which saw him named Principality Premiership coach of the year. 

But despite that success, McIntosh believes his side can always improve and is targeting the cross-border competition as a principal target for next season.

The tournament, won by Leinster last season, is being revamped with only four Welsh teams taking part in 2013/14 instead of the 12 which competed in the last campaign.

Selection on which Welsh teams take part will be based on regional play-offs at the start of next season, with final positions in last season’s Principality Premiership giving teams home advantage.

“We’ll set the same targets next season and that is to be unbelievably competitive in every competition,” said McIntosh, who will be hoping his side can come through the play-offs to reach the competition proper.

“To say we’d win the league, the cup and the British & Irish Cup is not realistic – there is too much competition.

“But we want to be as professional as we possibly can and if we can achieve that then I’d be happy. Hopefully we can go one further and challenge in the British & Irish Cup. I think we let Leinster through the fishnet this year and we’re good enough to beat teams like that.”

McIntosh was referring to his side’s defeat to Leinster in Ireland, a result he thinks his side were more than capable of overturning. That defeat and exit from the British & Irish Cup aside, Pontypridd enjoyed a stellar season, one which pleased their head coach no end.

“I’m chuffed to bits to be honest,” said McIntosh.

“We’ve worked hard and perhaps my guidance has helped towards the success of the season.

“At the same time, I’m more than appreciative of the other coaches who have worked hard this season and do exactly the same things as I do. They give the same effort, the same passion and the same desire.”

McIntosh was not the only Pontypridd man to pick up an end of season award, captain Chris Dicomidis and fly half Dai Flanagan always going home with silverware.

“I’m fortunate enough with the players I have and they’ve made a dream come true for me,” said McIntosh.

“I’m overwhelmed at the season and more importantly, absolutely chuffed for the players.

“I’m a Pontypridd lad and played for them for a long time. We’ve delved deep into history for motivation and for whatever it takes to win a game for Pontypridd. We had to make sure we put the nail in the coffin and we did that.” 

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness