Jump to main content

Wizards look to maintain run

Wizards look to maintain run

Aberavon open their Principality Premiership campaign this Saturday by hosting Newport at the Talbot Athletic Ground.

Share this page:

The Wizards have been preparing well for the new season with head coach Simon King understandably happy following British & Irish Cup play-off wins over Swansea and Bridgend. 

Swansea were beaten 15-8 in the first regional play-off at the Talbot Athletic Ground before the Ravens were downed 35-26 as Aberavon progressed to the pool stages.

While Aberavon have enjoyed a superb pre-season, Newport were beaten comfortably by Cross Keys.

The Black and Ambers are boosted though by the return of Lee Beach – the former Wales Sevens skipper leading his new side from No. 8.

“I’m excited to see where the standard is from the time I left,” said Beach, who has joined from London Welsh.

“There are a lot of new faces and players in Newport. Pre-season gone well and when we all gel together as a squad we’ll do alright.

“Consistency is key in this league. We’ve got some good young players and now we’ve got to implement them into a clear game plan.

“I had four years in London Welsh playing with some great players and if I can pass on that experience it will be great. I’m looking forward to the experience.”

Aberavon: 15 Paul Bamsey 14 Mike Powell 13 Will Price 12 Mathew Jenkins 11 Stef Andrews
10 Jamie Davies 9 Chris Morgan, 1 Rowan Jenkins 2 Ieuan Davies 3 Andrew Clatworthy 4 Gavin Ronan 5 Ian Moore 6 Lee Purnell 7 Nathan Brown 8 Ben Thomas.
Replacements: Dan Davies, Aaron Jones, Richard Thomas, Evan Yardley, Chris Davies, Sam Williams, Neil White, Anthony Edwards.

Newport: 15 Geraint O”Driscoll 14 Elliott Frewen 13 Daniel Robinson 12 Dominic Franchi 11 Owen Broad 10 Ethan Davies 9 Andrew Quick, 1 Nathan William 2 Andrew Brown 3 Alex Jeffries 4 Dafydd Rosser 5 Adam Brown 6 Ieuan Jones 7 Samuel Waldron 8 Lee Beach.
Replacements: Adam Frampton, Gethin Robinson, David James Pattison, Dale Rogers, Thomas Elias, James Leadbeater, Brendan Lampitt.

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness