Jump to main content

McIntosh waves goodbye

McIntosh waves goodbye

Dale McIntosh failed to hide his emotion after watching Pontypridd brush aside London Welsh in his final home game in charge.

Share this page:

At an emotionally charged Sardis Road, Pontypridd sent McIntosh off in style as second half tries from Ellis Jenkins, skipper Chris Dicomidis and Macauley Cook guided the home side to a 29-22 win. 

It was a performance and victory that summed up many of McIntosh’s greatest virtues, with courage, physicality and sheer will to win seeing a fully professional Exiles side sent home with a defeat.

Geraint Walsh had earlier opened the scoring and with Simon Humberstone on form from the tee, it was certainly a day to remember for the sell-out crowd at Sardis Road.

“It was a perfect end without a doubt,” said McIntosh, who is taking up a new role as defence coach at the Cardiff Blues.

“London Welsh are a very good side and very well coached but you can’t buy passion and the boys put each other in their hearts, played for the jersey and I’m so, so proud of them.

“Words can’t express how much I think of this club. I’m very sad to leave but at the same time, I think I’ve left the club in a very strong state.”

The clash with London Welsh saw McIntosh take on former Pontypridd man Justin Burnell. The Exiles scored three tries themselves and were dominant at times up front but Pontypridd ground out what was a desrved win.

McIntosh was applauded on to the ground before kick-off and received huge cheers at the final whistle. As he summed up the game, it was clear the man everyone knows as Chief was close to the edge.

“The game swung back and forth and at times we struggled at the set piece but we never let it phase us and the boys were outstanding,” he said.

“It was a great game of rugby after what has been an emotional week. The boys said they wanted to do a tunnel for me and I said it was going to kill me. But they did it and it’s hard to explain how special this place is to me.

“I’ve been here 25 ears. The guys who I’ve played with were brothers in arms and I’ve watched kids like Matthew Rees and Gethin Jenkins put shirts on here and then become world class players.

“This squad epitomise what Pontypridd is all about. They come here knowing the tradition and ethics of the club – it’s unbelievable really.”

McIntosh’s pride was more than obvious and after 25 years at the club, Saturday’s game was the climax of a lifelong stay since arriving from New Zealand. 

The former No. 8 can always be relied upon for a good quote and asked to sum up his time at Pontypridd in a sentence, he once again delivered.

“This is the best club in the world,” said McIntosh. “It’s as simple as that.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness