Jump to main content

Maddocks returns home

Maddocks returns home

Aberavon have today confirmed Barry Maddocks as their new backs coach.

Share this page:

An ex Wizard who wore the red and black shirt with pride, Maddocks heads to the Talbot Athletic Ground with Simon King’s men looking to improve their current league position in the Principality Premiership.

After starting his coaching career as a Rugby Development Officer for the WRU, working with the Scarlets and then the Ospreys, Maddocks moved on to work in the Wales Under 16 set up. He played 83 times for Aberavon between 1998 and 2006, scoring 50 points including 10 tries.

“I am delighted to have been appointed backs coach of Aberavon, a club I love,” said Maddocks.

“It is a great opportunity to go back to the club that I played for and have a strong affiliation to. The club has great people behind it complimented with a passionate supporter base. I played with a number of the boys who are currently still playing and we will be looking to put those traditional values back into the club.

“The job is going to be a tough task but one I won’t shirk from, with plenty of hard work both on and off the field I am sure we will finish strong and start to put the Wizards back where we belong!”

An Aberavon spokesman added: “We are very pleased that Barry is joining us at a critical part of the season.

“Barry is very keen to get back into the fold at the Talbot Athletic Ground and make an immediate impact. We are sure he will bring a new dimension to the club and everyone involved will look forward to working with him.

“Everyone at the club is determined to reverse our recent poor league form so the next few months will be challenging but certainly not insurmountable and we will relish that challenge together.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness