Jump to main content

December: Dorian Jones

December: Dorian Jones

Cross Keys outside half Dorian Jones has won the Principality Premiership Player of the Month for December.

Share this page:

Jones, son of Kingsley and brother of Wales Sevens star Rhys, helped Keys to their wins over champions Pontypridd and Aberavon last month and has been key to their good performances so far this season earning them a top four spot in the league.

Head coach Greg Woods said, “Dorian is an excellent outside half. He put in a man of the match performance against Ponty, and Cardiff just before that. He’s kicking all his points and has certainly got all the skills to become a professional rugby player.”

Jones, who joined Cross Keys last season added, “It’s great to be playing regularly, that’s really helped my game, and training full time with the Dragons for the last three months has made a big difference too.”

Dorian played all his rugby for Ebbw Vale before joining the Keys, other than a stint with Sale while his father was coaching there. He cites Kingsley as one of the many influences in his career so far.

“My father tries to stay away from talking about my on-field performances, given that he’s a forwards coach, although his advice off the field has been very useful. Byron Hayward helped out at Cross Keys at the end of last season which really brought on our back line, he helped us to make important tweaks that have made a big difference going into this season.

“My big brother Rhys has also been a huge help in my career so far. He’s like a personal coach, helping with my kicking and every other part of my game. There is a really good set-up at Cross Keys – the coaches and players there make it a great environment.”

As far as further ambitions go, Dorian is very much aiming to secure a Regional contract. “We are determined to finish in the top three in the league this season and be in with a chance of clinching the title. It would be great to make it to the SWALEC Cup final too – I lost to Cross Keys in the semi-final while at Ebbw Vale two years ago so it would be great to win that one with them this year.

“Personally, if I can keep playing well I would love to secure a Regional contract – we’ll have to see what Lyn (Jones) has to say!”

Principality Building Society’s Ebbw Vale branch manager, Mike Cooper, added: “Dorian comes from a great Welsh rugby family and he certainly showed his pedigree in the Principality Premiership in December. He has had some fantastic performances not only as a playmaker but also with the boot, to secure wins for Cross Keys.  We wish him the best of luck in 2014.”

Dorian Jones factfile:
Born: 27.9.92, Abergavenny
Position: Outisde half
Club: Cross Keys
Former clubs: Ebbw Vale, Sale Sharks
Education: Brynmawr Comp, Myerscough College (while at Sale Academy)
Most admired player: Neil Jenkins
Biggest influence: Coaches, especially Jason Strange and Byron Hayward in my position, parents and brother Rhys

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness