Jump to main content

Ward hoping for happy return to Indigo Prem with Ponty

Ward hoping for happy return to Indigo Prem with Ponty

Aled Ward in action for Wales U20 against Scotland in 2017

Aled Ward has bucked the trend, thanks to BUCS rugby, and will aim to prove it for Pontypridd on when the new Indigo Premiership season kicks-off. 

Share this page:

The new Sardis Road recruit, a former Wales U18 captain and U20 cap, is a player who has swum against the recent tide, moving from England to Wales to play, at a time when so many youngsters are heading eastwards.

He intends to show the benefits of that switch on the opening weekend of the Indigo Prem, when Ponty host rivals Cardiff in one of the many derby matches set up to kick off the new season.

Ponty’s recent eye-catching capture of Fijian star Nikola Matawalu may have stolen the headlines in the week club rugby returns, but Ward’s debut will be just as fascinating. The 24-year-old started with regional side Cardiff Blues, but was released in his teens.

Determined to succeed, he found his way into university rugby at Cardiff Met and from there took a route into England with Championship club Hartpury. That journey has been a one-way ticket for many Welsh players in recent seasons, but Ward has opted to return to his roots.

“It will be great being at home, with our support,” says Ward, who captained Cardiff Met. “I’ve not had a chance to witness a packed Sardis Road before, so I’m hoping it will be electric there.

“The fans they get in are fantastic and everyone is so passionate about the club, it filters through to the players and coaching staff. It is going to be an honour pulling on that Ponty shirt at Sardis Road, especially for the local derby. I know all about the rivalry and these are the games you want to be involved in.”

Ward’s career seemed to have stalled when the Blues let him go, but the rugby he experienced at Cardiff Met playing in the Welsh Championship and in the then fledgling BUCS Super Rugby tournament got him back on course. he played alongside England and Harlequins star Alex Dombrandt in the 2018 final and for Wales U20.

“I probably didn’t know at the time how beneficial it would be, because BUCS Super Rugby was only in its second year. I knew the lads there and the coaches, so it was definitely a good move at the time, after being let go from the academy,” added Ward.

“The most important thing back then was that I was playing every week, sometimes twice a week, so in terms of development it was great. I came out with a degree, I played with some great players, and it was a great time.

“I’d spent the majority of my life in Wales and coming towards the end of my degree I wanted to venture a bit further and play rugby.  Danny Milton (Director of Rugby at Cardiff Met) was a big help for me.

“He sent my clips out to numerous coaches in the English Championship and I spent two years at Hartpury. It was a great two years and it is a great league full of talent.

“I was able to test myself against top quality players – some experienced players and some who are going places. Wales is quite condensed, and full of talented players, so you have to find a gap.”

He admits his rejection from the Welsh regional set-up was painful, but insists it was a cloud with an unseen sliver lining.

“It was tough to take, but as you get older you realise how brutal professional sport is and it’s just part of the process. From that I’ve been able to get a degree and spend two years in the English Championship, which has been amazing,” he added.

There was always unfinished business back in Wales, though, and a job opportunity as a WRU hub officer opened the door to Sardis Road.

“Since going for my first session at Ponty it has been brilliant -it’s such a competitive environment. I’m really excited to get going. I’ve never played a Premiership game before, so I can’t wait to get stuck into the league,” he said

“Ponty had some great results last year. It is a strong team and a good group of lads who care about the club and want to do the best they can. Hopefully, it will be an exciting year and we can push on.”

Ponty finished seventh in last season’s Indigo Premiership, but they actually only lost two more games than champions Cardiff and it was a lack of bonus points that cost them – just two all season.

This time – with Ward and Matawalu on board and with the campaign returning to its proper home and away format – the omens look more promising for dwellers at the House of Pain.

“We have players in the squad who have experience winning the Premiership, they know what it takes, we are quite a young squad, as well, but the mix of both could push us far,” insists Ward.

“Cardiff up first is a great opportunity against one of the best teams in the league.  It’s a good opportunity to get off to a flying start and build some confidence.

“We are under no illusion that they will be littered with talent throughout the squad, and they will be well-drilled.

“But we are coming off a strong pre-season and it is a great time to catch them and go for them. If we stick to our guns and work hard, we will definitely be in amongst it at the end.”

S4C: Saturday – 5.15pm. Rygbi Indigo Prem
Pontypridd v Cardiff
Live coverage of the game from Sardis Road
KO 5.30pm – English commentary available

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken