Jump to main content

Young Volunteer of the Year raises £1,000 for local team

Ava Mathieson

Wales ex-international Josh Navidi presents Ava Mathieson with her Young Volunteer Award

Little Ava Mathieson really stole the hearts of the room at the inaugural WRU Community Volunteer Awards earlier this month.

Share this page:

It was a very special moment when she was announced as the joint winner of Young Volunteer of the Year, coming up to receive her award from Welsh Ex-international Josh Navidi at Principality Stadium.

Ava is only five years old, but has raised around £1000 for her brother’s U14s team at St Peters RFC by participating in bucket collections and selling raffle tickets.

She was put forward for the prize by her mother Michelle.  “I nominated her for the award because she has been amazing this year,” she explained.

“She has been doing lots and lots of fund-raising. She stood out and bucket collected for around three hours and has raised £1000 all by herself and at five years old I think that’s pretty good going.

“Every week that the boys are playing she turns out and cheers her big brother and the rest of the team and gives it her absolute all to help them win. Her enthusiasm never waivers.”

The money Ava has collected will be used to develop the U14s side at St Peters, book team-building activities and enable them to purchase tops for their first tour since 2019.

As the five year old puts it herself: “I have raised £1,000 all by myself to buy them lots of new stuff and they go on tour.”

What a little star she is!

Ava was the joint winner of the Young Volunteer of the Year award along with 16-year-old Ieuan Pilliner who coaches and referees Bridgend Sports U10s.

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness