Jump to main content

Ratti recalls fond memories of ‘where it all began’

James Ratti

James Ratti during Wales training

The success of the WSC Rugby programme can be seen by the number of players coming through the system and going on to play both regional and international rugby. One of the latest success stories has been Ospreys back row-second row man James Ratti.

Share this page:

He won his first cap this summer when he came on to play against the world champion Springboks at Twickenham. A former Llandovery College pupil, he shared the field with two other Llandoverians that day.

Scarlets tight head prop Harri O’Connor was one of them and in the South African ranks outside half Sacha Feinberg-Mngomezulu also made his debut. Over the same weekend, Bristol Bears and England scrum half Harry Randall played against Japan, making it four Llandovery products playing internationally for three different nations.

“I took a bit of a mad route to becoming a Welsh international, but it is something I’m really proud of and something that every rugby player in Wales aspires to become,” said Ratti.

“Every player takes their own road to the top when they come through the ranks. Some progress through their academy, while others go abroad and then return home.

“I had to make a few difficult 50-50 calls on my journey, but thankfully I made the right choices that have led me to where I am today. I’m proud of the self-belief and faith I’ve shown in myself and I think I’ve shown where hard work can take you.

“It all really began for me at Llandovery College in the Schools & Colleges League. That tournament is a real breeding ground for talent and I find myself playing against a lot of players who I first met at school level.

“There are a lot of aspiring young professionals playing at that level. They don’t all make the top grade, but there are a lot of them playing in the old Indigo Premiership and now Super Rygbi Cymru.

“The Schools & Colleges League was my first taste of senior rugby. It is where you can challenge yourself against some of the best players in the country at your age.

“It has always been really competitive and I’m sure this season will be no exception to that.”

As well as Llandovery’s ‘awesome foursome’ this year, last season saw Mackenzie Martin make the grade with both Cardiff Rugby and Wales as he rocketed to the top having been in the CAVC side that beat Llandovery in the 2021 final.

Lucas de la Rua, who made his Cardiff Rugby debut against Toulouse in the Heineken Cup last season, was in the CAVC side that made it back-to-back wins the following year, while Coleg Sir Gar have produced a whole host of internationals over the past decade.

WSC U18 rugby has become the breeding ground for the future stars of the game. Only a few years ago when Ysgol Glantaf hosted Whitchurch HS in the North Cardiff derby there were three great prospects on the field. Theo Cabango is using his electric pace to good effect at Cardiff, while his Glantaf teammate Teddy Williams has gone on to play for Wales alongside Whitchurch’s Christian Tshiunza.

Who will be the stand-out players this season who will go on to play for their region and country? We will start finding out from today!
WSC U18 RUGBY – ROUND 1
CONFERENCE A
18 September
Gower College v Coleg Sir Gar
Llandovery College v Cardiff & Vale College
Whitchurch HS v Coleg Llandrillo
19 September
Ysgol Glantaf v Coleg Y Cymoedd
CONFERENCE B
18 September
Bridgend College v Neath & Port Talbot College
Coleg Gwent V Ysgol Ystalyfera