Jump to main content

Craig Morgan Gets Debut Call

Craig Morgan Gets Debut Call

display_more_news_link

Craig Morgan, the 23-year-old Cardiff wing, will make his Wales senior debut in the opening match of the 2002 Lloyds TSB Six Nations Championship, against Ireland at Lansdowne Road, Dublin, on Sunday (2.00 pm).
Morgan is the one new cap in a side showing seven changes from the team beaten 21-13 by world champions Australia last November.
Morgan comes in on the left wing in place of Gareth Thomas with five of the changes in the pack.
British and Irish Lions tourists Dafydd James and Martyn Williams have recovered from the injuries that stopped them facing the Wallabies, James taking over from Wayne Proctor on the right wing and Williams packing down at openside flanker in place of Brett Sinkinson.
It is all change in the second row, Craig Quinnell and Chris Wyatt taking over from Ian Gough and Andy Moore, with Chris Anthony replacing Darren Morris at tighthead prop and Nathan Budgett packing down at blindside flanker in place of Colin Charvis.
Rob Howley will become Wales’ most capped scrum half, making his 55th appearance, one more than Robert Jones, with Scott Quinnell captaining Wales in the Championship for the first time.
“I have admired Craig Morgan’s talents for some time and now that he has had a run of games he is ready to step up a level,” said National Coach Graham Henry.
“To open the Championship in Dublin is a tough call. The Irish game has moved on and is now as refined as any in the Six Nations.
“However, our selection proves we are travelling in a positive mood. We feel the team has the ingredients – footballing skills, pace and ball winning capacity – to compete with anyone.
“We have had some extra time together in preparation and that should certainly help mould those elements into a team.”
New cap Morgan said: “I am obviously delighted to have been selected, having overcome a frustrating period with injury.
“My confidence is back and all I can hope for is to be able to contribute fully to a team success in Dublin.”