Jump to main content

Statement From Cardiff Rfc On Rudy Joubert

Statement From Cardiff Rfc On Rudy Joubert

Cardiff Rugby Football Club has reacted the news this afternoon that the South African Rugby Football Union has appointed Rudolph Straeuli as head coach of the Springboks.
This means that Rudy Joubert continues as Director of Rugby at the Cardiff club.
Chief Executive Robert Norster said,
“When Rudy Joubert joined us as Director of Rugby in August 2001 he was relatively unknown outside his own country. The fact that he was chosen from a large field of high-quality applicants for the Springboks’ post and reached the final short-list of two is confirmation of his qualities as a coach. In a very short space of time, he has become highly respected by all players and back-room staff who have worked with him and he is very popular with the club’s members and supporters.
“Rudy has always said that whatever the outcome of his application for the Springboks’ post, he is still committed to building on his excellent groundwork here at the Arms Park. As a club we feel sure that one day he will achieve his ambition to coach his national team.
“We are delighted that he is staying with us and we look forward to further improvements in the playing performance of the Cardiff squad under his leadership.”
After hearing SARFU’s decision to appoint Straeuli, Rudy Joubert said,
“I am naturally disappointed but I still want to coach the Springboks one day. In the meantime I wish Rudolph Straeuli well and, of course, want South Africa to return to the top of world rugby. Now I can continue with this great job at Cardiff. We have worked hard this year but there is still a lot to be done. Whatever my ambitions back home, I was worried that I hadn’t finished the job I had started here. So I am still happy to be part of what I consider to be the greatest club in Wales.”