Jump to main content

Castlemen Leave It Late, But Take Upper Hand In Play-off

Castlemen Leave It Late, But Take Upper Hand In Play-off

A try in the fourth minute of injury time from Tongan international Sione Tuipolutu gave Caerphilly the upper hand in the shoot out to see who will play in the Welsh Premier Division next season.
Victory at the Talbot Athletic Ground looked to be slipping away from the Welsh/Scottish League side as the game moved into injury time.
The Wizards had defended heroically during the second half and looked like taking a three point lead with them to Virginia Park for Friday night’s second leg.
But Tuipolutu’s last gasp try, which Luke Richards converted, scuppered those plans and gave the top flight side a four point lead to take home with them.
Aberavon enjoyed some strong, early pressure and could have scored twice before Richards carved out an opening for centre Roddy Boobyer to cross for a try at the posts for the visitors.
Richards added the conversion and the Caerphilly nerves were settled.
But the First Division champions gave the 2,500 strong crowd something to shout about as they worked their way back into the game via two Jamie Davies penalties to end the first half only a point in arrears.
Then, three minutes into the second half, Richards was the instigator for a second try, only this time it was for Aberavon as flying wing Daran Griffiths intercepted a loose pass from the Caerphilly No 10 to race 65 metres to the posts for a try which Daveis converted.
Richards struck a penalty after 63 minutes to cut the deficit to three points and all the late pressure from the Castelmen finally paid off when Tuipolutu grabbed his matchwinning try.
Aberavon: Try: Daran Griffiths; Con: Jamie Davies; Pens: Jamie Davies 2.
Caerphilly: Tries: Sione Tuipulotu, Roddy Boobyer; Cons: Luke Richards 2;
Pen: Luke Richards.
Att: 2,500

Share this page:

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
Official Partners