Jump to main content

New Captain For Cardiff

New Captain For Cardiff

Martyn Williams has been announced as the new captain of Cardiff Rugby.
The 25-times capped Wales and Lions flanker succeeds David Young and is looking forward to the challenge.
“It is a great honour for me to be invited to lead the side,” said Williams, ” and I think that the season ahead of us could be a very exciting one. It seems that a lot of people have written us off simply because some big name players have left.
“If you look at the players we still have in the squad there is no shortage of talent that has been developed from within the club and that is the way forward. I think we are going to surprise a few critics in the months ahead.”
Martyn Williams has played 61 times for the first team in three seasons and has also captained Pontypridd Youth, Wales Under-21 and a Wales XV on tour in Argentina in 1999 and against USA Eagles at the Millennium Stadium.
Head coach David Young, who himself captained the club for four consecutive seasons, has no doubt that Williams will be a successful captain.
“The response from the rest of the players when we confirmed Martyn’s appointment said it all,” he revealed. “They are 100 per cent behind their new captain from the outset and the sincere congratulations he received was very encouraging.
“Martyn is a player who has won the respect of everyone through his honest endeavour and total commitment and I’m absolutely thrilled that Martyn, the assistant coach Geraint John and myself will be working together as a management team to ensure the best for the squad.”
The full Cardiff squad will be in a pre-season training camp in north-east Wales next week before playing two warm-up matches at the Arms Park against Bourgoin (17 August) and Bath (24 August).