Jump to main content

Pontypridd End Llanelli’s Rein

Pontypridd End Llanelli’s Rein

Pontypridd ended Llanelli’s rein on the Super League this weekend after beating them 35-0 at Llanrumney in Cardiff. The venue was changed from Sardis Road at the last minute due to the appalling weather conditions, but this didn’t phase the Ponty girls who scored their first of seven tries in the opening minutes through centre Jess Kidley.

Share this page:

Llanelli never really looked threatening, and poor defence allowed Pontypridd’s second row Emma Nelson to score their second. A couple of minutes before the break the Pontypridd forwards capitalised on Llanelli’s unforced errors allowing Welsh International Claire Flowers through to score their third.

The weather didn’t improve in the second half but Pontypridd dug deep and with twenty minutes remaining Flowers went over for her second. Pontypridd captain Esther Eckley led by example showing excellent skills and tireless commitment in the Pontypridd pack. Llanelli failed to shine as they have done in their first three games and will be disappointed with their performance.

Pontypridd replacement 16 year old Amy Day, once again showed her worth as she dived over for a try with ten minutes remaining, followed shortly by Llandaff North team mate Vicki Gaylard who added another as the Pontypridd forwards drove over the line. Full back Lowena Sandercock scored in the dying minutes bringing the score, at the welcomed final whistle, to 35-0.

Elsewhere, North Wales maintained their 100% home record when they defeated Newport Ladies 17-0 at Ruthin RFC. The game started with Newport forwards dominating possession and threatening the North Wales line for the opening quarter. The northerners held strong with some outstanding backline defence from Catrin Thomas, Lowri Jones and Kathryn Hughes. The first opportunity North Wales had to score in the Newport half came from a break by scrum-half Rachel Davies which was followed up by a 20 metre drive and try from No. 8 Marnie James. This gave the North Wales girls a lift, which saw them dominate possession and territory for the remainder of the first half despite some strong individual running from Newport’s openside and Welsh International Louise Rickard. The second half was opened by a try from North Wales Captain and Welsh International Kylie Wilson who drove over the Newport line after a penalty was awarded. Newport tried to string phases of play together, but this was unrewarding due to exceptional defence by 16 year old Meriel Guillimen-Edwards, who had her first start for the senior North Wales squad after
representing Wales U16 last season. The game was sealed when scrumhalf Davies sold a dummy to the Newport defence and crossed the line unchallenged. The try was converted by Catrin Thomas. Bringing the final score was 17-0 to North Wales.

Like Newport, Swansea were also looking for their first win of the Super League as they travelled to play UWIC at Cyn Coed. The University side started strong with their forwards dominating play allowing Prop Catrin Edwards to score a hat trick in the first half. Swansea picked up their game in the second half but couldn’t break through the UWIC defences. The final score was 17-0.

The results see Llanelli drop to third place behind North Wales and UWIC on points’ difference. Swansea and Newport are wallowing at the bottom of the table still chasing their first wins of the season. The next round is scheduled for Wednesday 16th October when UWIC take on North Wales, Pontypridd play Newport and Swansea host Llanelli.

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
Official Partners