Jump to main content

He Said What??

He Said What??

display_more_news_link

Share this page:

He said what??

After a mixed weekend of results for Welsh teams in the Celtic League, read our pick of the quotes from coaches and players…

Pontypridd 15 Cardiff 9

Pontypridd coach Lynn Howells:

‘I’m absolutely delighted that we’ve secured home advantage for the quarter-finals of the Celtic League.

‘The performance against Cardiff wasn’t vintage but what was important was we got the result.

‘It was a typical Pontypridd performance, we didn’t give in and we didn’t give up. I thought we deserved the victory and we’ll go on from here.’

Cardiff coach David Young:

‘Realistically we could have and probably should have beaten Pontypridd. In the second half especially we were by far the better team.

‘But it is very hard to win at Sardis Road with only 14 men – and 13 for a time.

‘If anything, Pontypridd were hanging on at the end, not Cardiff. In the second half but for a few stray passes, we would have crossed their line.’

Munster 41 Caerphilly 0

Caerphilly coach Mark Ring:

‘At times this season in the Celtic League we’ve felt like a part-time team in a full-time league.

‘That was certainly the case against Munster. The amount of internationals in their side is just unbelievable and it showed the difference between the two clubs.’

Newport 24 Borders 8

Newport coach Leigh Jones:

‘I’m just delighted for the youngsters. They wanted an opportunity, they got it and they have put their hands up.

‘It wasn’t particularly pretty but it was all about getting the result and getting some confidence to get our show on the road.’

Swansea 33 Ebbw Vale 20

Swansea coach John Connolly:

‘It’s a long season, and you’re going to get games like this, but I thought we deserved the win.’

Edinburgh 27 Neath 13

Neath coach Lyn Jones:

‘We have a lot of work to do to try to put right the things that went wrong.

‘Edinburgh deserved their victory because they were by far the better team on the night.

‘That shows us what we are going to have to do to be successful in a competition like this. The boys are very disappointed with what they produced, but we are confident we can improve.’

Ulster 16 Llanelli 9

Llanelli fly-half Stephen Jones:

‘We were poor in the first half. That’s when we lost the game. We played better in the second half, but we still made far too many errors in the game.’

They’ve had their say…Now you have yours…

Newport finally manage a win…how did the younger players perform?

Why are Llanelli now losing games they would have won last season?

What do Caerphilly have to change if they are to perform well in the Welsh Premiership?

Have your say on the wru.co.uk message board by clicking on the questions…

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness