Jump to main content

Hansen Happy With Victory

Hansen Happy With Victory

Wales coach Steve Hansen was satisfied with his side’s win over Romania in Wrexham on Friday night.
‘I was reasonably happy with a 40-3 scoreline at the end,’ he said.
‘What people have to remember is that we had only five days to prepare for this match. We started nervously and grew in confidence as the game went on.
‘We made 10 changes from our last Test against South Africa, and there was always going to be a little rust in the machinery.
‘We knew Romania would be tough, but we’ll definitely improve on this effort … you’ll see a big improvement against Fiji.’
Captain Colin Charvis was also happy: ‘There goes the jinx of Colin as captain of Wales,’ he said, referring to the three straight losses suffered under his fledgling captaincy.
‘I’d started to get worried about it, and it means a lot to me to have led a winning Welsh side.
‘But this is only the start. The aim has got to be to emulate the team of a few years ago that won 10 games on the bounce.
‘There was a sense of relief throughout the squad that we got a win. We didn’t get the territorial advantage, but I think we deserve some credit for pulling off a victory against a Romanian side that put up a huge battle.
‘It’ll be great going back to the Millennium Stadium to play Fiji, Canada and New Zealand, although the drier pitch we can expect there is bound to suit the Fijian style.
‘They will present a different type of challenge, and we certainly won’t be taking them lightly. We’ve got to start gelling as a team.’
Related Stories

Wales win in Wrexham
Charvis – ‘We’ve got to provide great performances’