Jump to main content

France outline Rugby World Cup bid

France outline Rugby World Cup bid

Wales will get 20% of the profits if France are awarded the rights to host the 2007 Rugby World Cup, according to French Federation president Bernard Lapasset.

Share this page:

As well as the cash, French Federation president Bernard Lapasset revealed today that Wales would get to host three Pool matches and a quarter-final if his country got the thumbs-up.

Lapasset said: “One of the main changes in our revised bid is the fact that we have chosen to allocate three games to each of the Celtic nations – Wales, Scotland and Ireland – as well as giving a quarter-final to Wales, as the reciprocal agreement stipulates.

“We respect that agreement and the traditions of northern hemisphere rugby which are about participating and sharing. The gate receipts from all matches will be centralized in France and then a percentage will be redistributed. For Wales, I can confirm that they will receive 20% of those monies, as we did in 1999 and Welsh rugby and its public will also benefit from hosting three matches and a quarter-final. The other Celtic nations will receive some of the profits but not as much as Wales.”

Jean-Pierre Rives, France’s ambassador in their bid to host Rugby World Cup 2007, added: “A World Cup is not one country’s cup – the principle of sharing is essential and fundamental. I think it is vital for a successful competition. I even thought of giving matches to England because we owe it to rugby to get the biggest possible level of participation and to share out the benefits in every sense. After all, ask any rugby administrator and they would choose the matches over the money any day.”

England have also made a bid to host the tournament, IRB member nations vote on the issue on April 10th 2003.

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness