Jump to main content

Wru Dress Singer For World Cup

Wru Dress Singer For World Cup

Welsh rugby bosses today kitted out 22-year-old Cardiff primary school teacher Amy Pedwell in first team colours to ensure she looks the part at the Rugby World Cup in Australia next week.

Share this page:

Amy has been chosen by the International Rugby Board to perform “Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau” before each Wales World Cup match.

“We were pleased with the IRB initiative to make sure the anthem will be sung by someone from Wales,” said WRU commercial manager Gwyn Thomas.

“But we decided we couldn’t let Amy go out to Australia and perform such a valuable job for the team and the nation without dressing her up in team colours.”

Ex-pat Edward Alias, who will also receive a shirt but is currently out of the country, will join Amy for the performances and the two will also form part of a choir made up of representatives from each competing nation for the RWC opening ceremony.

But the first pre-match performance at Wales versus Canada in Melbourne on 12 October will be extra special for Amy, as it arrives on the same day as her 23rd birthday.

“I’m both nervous and excited at the moment,” she said. “But it hasn’t really sunk in yet and I just can’t wait to get out there for what is the chance of a lifetime.

“I’ve always been a big rugby fan and have watched Wales at the Millennium Stadium before but to go out to Australia with them and sing the national anthem is such a great honour that it’s quite overwhelming.”

Amy recently graduated from UWIC in Cardiff as a primary school teacher and is postponing a place on the performing arts postgraduate diploma at Birmingham Conservatoire for the trip to Australia.

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness