Jump to main content

Wales Women Make Rugby History

Wales Women Make Rugby History

display_more_news_link

The Welsh Women’s Rugby team will make history on Saturday as they play against the first-ever female Springboks team at the Adcock Stadium in Port Elizabeth. The squad was announced last night with 18-year-old scrum half Amy Day receiving her first senior international cap. Amy played in the Welsh Under 16s squad in 2002 and already has 6 caps at Under 19 level. The A-level student from Caerphilly commented, “I am so excited to be given my first senior cap. It is every player’s ambition to represent their country at the highest level and now I’ve been given the opportunity.”

Share this page:

Rachel Brown, Eirlys Lougher, Becky Davies and Hannah Szigetvari will also be hoping to come on from the bench to win their first caps at Senior level. Catrin Nicolas gets her first start in the Number 6 shirt.

The squad contains several highly experienced players including Louise Rickard who receives her 72nd cap and is the most capped player on the tour. Second row Claire Donovan makes a return to the starting line up following a year out through injury.

The game opens a new chapter in Kylie Wilson’s international career as she leads the Welsh side for the first time. The 30-times capped Flanker commented, “It will be a momentous occasion. I met the South Africa captain Nomsebenzi Tsotsobe at the beginning of this week. The South Africa team are so fired up for the game, it’s a great rugby nation and it’s great to see the way they have embraced the women’s game. They are very passionate about the sport. It will be a very proud moment for me on Saturday and one that I’m really looking forward to.”

SQUAD:
1 Louise Horgan
2 Jenny Davies
3 Catrin Edwards
4 Claire Donovan
5 Kath Foale
6 Catrina Nicolas
7 Kylie Wilson
8 Emma Phillips
9 Amy Day
10 Awen Thomas
11 Stacey Saunders