Jump to main content

Wales Must Perform

Wales Must Perform

The Welsh Women’s rugby team had their final training session today at the Adcock Stadium ahead of the opening game in the Springbok test series. The mood in the Welsh camp is confident despite their mid-week loss to a strong Eastern Province team on Tuesday.

Share this page:

Head coach Phil John commented, “One of our aims for this tour is to develop and identify future international players, the squad that played on Tuesday contained many of the younger, less experienced players and that showed in some areas of play.”

Despite Women’s rugby being relatively new to South Africa, Assistant Coach Alun Harries added that they were surprised by the standard, “Tuesday was an eye-opener as to the style of rugby and of the quality of the game here in South Africa. We are under no illusions of the challenge ahead for tomorrow. We know that we must perform to the best of our abilities in order to come away with a win.”

18-year-old Amy Day makes her senior international debut at Scrum Half on Saturday with uncapped players Rachel Brown, Becky Davies, Eirlys Lougher and Hannah Szigetvari all on the bench. Winger Hannah Szigetvari, at just 17 years of age, will be the youngest player ever to represent Wales at senior level if she comes on in tomorrow’s game.

John added, “Our squad for tomorrow does contain some of the younger players, but they have earned their places and it is a massive achievement for them. The squad also contains some of the most experienced players in the world of international rugby and I am sure their experience will benefit the youngsters hugely.”

One of those experienced players is Louise Rickard. The centre receives her 72nd cap in the game tomorrow. “I’m really looking forward to the game. It doesn’t matter how many times you represent Wales, every time means the world to me, if it didn’t I wouldn’t be here. The competition for places is getting harder and the quality of the younger players coming through is impressive. I’m very proud to be playing along side them.”

The game kicks off at 3pm at the Adcock Stadium, Port Elizabeth.

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness