Jump to main content

Llewellyn Looks For French Test

Llewellyn Looks For French Test

Wales most capped player Gareth Llewellyn does not believe he will compete at the top level in Welsh regional rugby again, and wants to put his skills to the test in the English or French Championships.

Share this page:

Llewellyn was released from his contract by the Neath-Swansea Ospreys during last season, has not signed for any of the other three regional outfits in the Principality, and now the record-breaking forward says he wants one last challenge before he retires from the game.

The 35-year-old, who is set to extend his recently-acquired Welsh record to 90 Test appearances by lining up against South Africa in Pretoria on Saturday, has attracted interest from clubs in England, a league he has experienced in having played for NEC Harlequins between 1995 and 1999.

“I know there are a few clubs in England looking for second-rows, but perhaps there are reservations about my age. But I’m still good enough for international rugby and would like to think I’m good enough to play club rugby at top level.

“I enjoyed my time in the English Premiership at Harlequins after joining them in 1995 and had a great four years there. The French championship is tough and pretty competitive and probably played in better weather conditions too, ” he told reporters in South Africa as Wales prepare for Saturdays test with the Springboks.

Llewellyn said he would relish the challenge of moving to French rugby to play in the same competition as fellow countrymen Gareth Thomas (Stade Toulousain) and Stephen Jones (Montferrand).

‘If I went to France I’d have to prove myself again. I’ve always done that wherever I’ve been. If I went somewhere like France everyone would expect me to do that again and I wouldn’t want to disappoint anyone.”

“I just want to play top-level rugby next season, England, France or wherever that may be. It does not look as though it is going to happen for me now in Wales.

“I’d certainly enjoy that aspect of the game in France. I enjoyed the experience of living in London, but living in France would be something new again.

“”I feel I have at least another season left in me and I’d make a decision about carrying on beyond that when the time came.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness