Jump to main content

Nuthall Relishing Heineken Challenge

Nuthall Relishing Heineken Challenge

Promising youngster Matthew Nuthall is looking forward to Heineken Cup rugby after Sunday’s heart-breaking 19-26 loss to England at the Under-21 World Cup in Glasgow.

Share this page:

Winger Nuthall scored two tries to mark his record 22nd game for the Under-21 side, but had a third disallowed as an unlucky Wales were relegated to sixth place in the tournament won by New Zealand.

‘We’ve had an okay tournament, but we were devastated to lose to South Africa 27-26 – that was a game we should have won and it’s cost us in the end,’ Nuthall said.

The Pontypridd product said farewell to Under-21 rugby on Sunday, having spent the past three seasons in the side. He has scored nine tries in the national colours and played fullback, wing and centre in an impressive stint at this level.

‘The highlight has to be the Six Nations Grand Slam last season,’ he said. ‘After that, we were missing about seven players with the senior squad, which made us a lot weaker, otherwise we could have made a real run at the World Cup after the Slam.

‘I’ve enjoyed the games, but now I’m looking forward to next season with the Blues.’

Nuthall – a member of the defunct Celtic Warriors squad – signed with the Cardiff region last month, and says the move was always on the cards.

‘I’d been in talks with Cardiff before everything went wrong at the Warriors,’ he said. ‘A lot of us were keeping our options open in case everything went down the pan – which it did.

‘I think six of the Warriors guys have gone to Cardiff and I know a few of the boys from the Under-21 squad, so I’m looking forward to it.

‘We’re in the Heineken Cup next season and I’m just hoping to get a few games – that would be great. It’s all a new challenge for me.’

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness