Jump to main content

RUDDOCK GIVEN FOOD FOR THOUGHT

RUDDOCK GIVEN FOOD FOR THOUGHT

The manner of Wales’ performances have proved helped to re-enthuse a rugby-weary Welsh public, and a 56,000 crowd witnessed the Japan romp, despite the game living up to its no-contest billing.

“Overall, I think we delivered on what we wanted to deliver – four big performances, and a tempo and excitement that would bring the Welsh public in,” said Ruddock. “We are not world-beaters. There is a long way to go and a lot of hard work ahead, but we have made progress.

“I believe we are an improved team and, on our day, we can give anyone a game, but we have to learn to win (tight) games now. We are not going to blow our own trumpet.”

Share this page:

Looking ahead to the England clash, Ruddock added: “I don’t expect too many spare tickets! A lot of people wrote England off on the back of their player retirements this year, but Andy Robinson is doing a great job and has picked the right blend.

“The noises from the camp say they are a rejuvenated squad.”

Ruddock fully expects some selection headaches ahead of the England game, especially if everyone stays fit among a Wales squad that now has considerable strength and depth.

He added: “We knew all about people like Colin Charvis, Gareth and Stephen Jones going into these autumn games, but there have been bonuses like lock Luke Charteris, who has shown he’s got a
big future, Ryan Jones and Steve Jones.

“Then you’ve also got Gareth Llewellyn who is playing some of the best rugby of his life at the moment.

“There have been a lot of bonuses, and there will be some nice selection headaches. I will take that at the moment.”

Newcastle flanker Charvis and Neath-Swansea Ospreys centre Gavin Henson stole the scoring honours against Japan. Charvis’ four-try haul – his second hat-trick for Wales – set a new record by a Welsh forward in one Test, while Henson’s 14 conversions from 14 attempts also created a new best.

It was Wales’ biggest winning margin of their illustrious international history, eclipsing the 102-11 victory over World Cup qualifying opponents Portugal in Lisbon 10 years ago. Charvis apart, there were also tries for Tom Shanklin (3), full-back Rhys Williams (2), wing Shane Williams (2), prop Gethin Jenkins, hooker Mefin Davies and scrum-half Gareth Cooper.

The crowds’ only disappointment was that Wales fell just short of a century, unable to match Scotland’s feat a fortnight ago when they beat Japan 100-8, but many of the voices on the streets of Cardiff sang on one on their walk home: “Bring on England.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness