Jump to main content

DRAGONS SIGN STARS FOR NEW SEASON

Club graphic

Newport Gwent Dragons have dramatically signed Bedford utility-back Leigh Hinton just as it looked like he was set to sign for Glasgow. Hinton was all set to play for the Scottish outfit next season, but the Dragons swooped before he put pen to paper.

Coach Paul Turner is delighted at the coup and hopes Hinton will add an extra edge to the back line. “It was important that we secured the signing of a promising back who had already experienced rugby at a high level and Leigh fitted that description. He is quick, strong and we are delighted he has joined the squad.”

Hinton has linked up with the Dragons for pre-season training and is excited about playing for the Region. “I am relishing the challenge of playing for The Dragons and helping them build on the foundations laid in the previous two seasons. They have a very impressive back line and I am looking forward to being a part of that in the forthcoming season and the prospect of playing Celtic League, Heineken Cup and Powergen Cup rugby is one I am excited about.”

The Dragons have also signed prop David Maddocks from Welsh regional rivals The Scarlets. The 22-year-old loose-head prop is a Wales U19 and U21 cap and Dragons coach Paul Turner believes his best times are ahead of him.

“With the retirement of Rod Snow, David Maddocks gives us depth to the squad. He is a very ambitious player and although he may be young in prop years he will mature into a very good player in the next couple of years.”

The Rodney Parade side have also given Pontypool number eight Andrew Coombs a development contract.